X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer Restarts During Installation

Please HELP!

I've tried to install Gutsy over 10 times now but when the installation is between 29 and 49 percent the computer shuts down. I've tried both Kubuntu i386 and AMD64 versions as well as re-downloaded and re-burned the installation disk several times. I've even tried to install Feisty. The Live CD works so I doubt compatibility issues plus I have (using Wubi) installed Ubuntu Feisty then upgraded it to Kubuntu Gutsy; and yes, I have tried to install Ubuntu Gutsy and Feisty without Wubi but these also crash at the same points.

Other things I've tried are:

Re-setting the BIOS to defaults,
    Setting the drives partitions manually,
    Using different drives,
    Disabling (dis-connecting) all drives but the one I wish to install Kubuntu onto,
    I've disabled the power saving options on the live CD,
    and I've used different DVD drives to run the installation.

Im using an AMD Athlon 64 (tm) 3200 +, ASUS NVIDIA Extreme N6200TC Graphics card, ASUS A8R-MVP Motherboard with a 160Gb, 200GB and a 500GB SATA Hard Drives.

All help welcome.

Re: Computer Restarts During Installation

Try this:
    Download the alternate cd and burn iso at less than 8x the live cd's are sometimes problematic, especially the tribes.

The alternate cd is more robust and has more options.

I would reconnect the drives, check the boot order in your bios and do a search here for your video card just to be on the safe side.

I hope that helps

Comment

O.K. Will try this and post back. Incidentally, I've recently tried to move my Wubi install to a dedicated drive and the computer restarts before the process has completed (tried it twice unsuccessfully using LVPM). Hope the alternate CD works.

Comment

O.K So I've just tried the Alternate AMD64 CD. The system still failed to install but this time I noted the following errors which occurred during the installation phase:

1, Bootstrap Installation Error,
        2, Kernel Not Found Installation Error,
        3, Select and Install Software Installation Error,
        4, Base System Installation Error,
        5, GRUB Installation Error.

The DVD drive I'm using works perfectly and the disks being used are made by a manufacturer from which I've never bought faulty media. I'm beginning to wonder weather there's a fault with the download. Any further suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by ultrageeky
          I'm beginning to wonder weather there's a fault with the download.
          That is easy to check -- it's the "md5" checksum. The correct number is in the repo where you got the ISO image, and you check the downloaded file to see if it matches.

Comment

Not sure whether this relates or not. Up and til recently the gutsy daily alternative builds have been install without a problem but in the last week or so I haven't been able to install from the daily build. The first indication I had of a on-going problem is that the kernel failed to install and consequently gives the install errors listed here.

Watching the install process carefully I noticed that just before the language screen comes up for a split second there is notice of a segmentation fault. Despite this error the install process seems to continue but then I found that if you then allow the install to continue then it will ultimately fail as dibl describes.

This has now been the case for about 2 weeks worth of daily builds - have since 'googled' the problem but couldn't find anything - is anyone having the same issues with the kubuntu alternative install image (daily build) and could it have a bearing on the problems as reported by dibl.

Comment

Sorry it's been a while since the original post but I've only recently got my computer functional post moving back to the U.K from the Netherlands (PC survived the trip in one piece)...

Finally solved the restart on install errors. Probably solved by multiple factors but the main steps taken were:
              • Requested a copy of the Kubuntu 64 and i386 discs. Used them but the problem recurred.

Replaced the CPU, HS and Fan. Should have realised the Fan and HS were faulty due to the erratic restarts during the intensive installation procedure but didn't until my PC gave-up and stopped posting. Yep, I'd fried my CPU. That's the ast time I buy a Cooler Master RC-K09 (whatever it was).

Downloaded the DVD version of Kubuntu AMD 64 distro and it installed without fault.

Thank You to everybody who tried to help me with the problem described at the top I appreciated it greatly.

Comment

If you can get an Arctic Freezer Pro fan/heatsink, I'd recommend it. I've had two of them running for a couple of years -- they seem very solid and reliable.

Of course, an LGA 775 heatsink installation is no picnic. You have to be very careful and very thorough to get the *&^%$%# little legs snapped through the motherboard holes and locked into position.

Comment

Thank you for the advice. I've just bought an ASUS Triton 77 (A beast of a thing) and AMD 64 X2 (soc 939). As quiet as "Is that on or off?" The system seems quite stable now and I'm glad to be back out of Windows and into Linux. Windows has its uses but I like to tinker..

Comment

Working...
                  X