This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

optical drives won't eject

This is probably not the place for this but, I have one cd drive that I have been opening with a paper clip for about... oh 2yrs now. Now all of the sudden my dvd drive no longer opens and I have to use a paper clip on that also. Any way to fix this??
    I tried Enlightenment once, it was pretty cool.

Re: optical drives won't eject

Trouble ejecting optical drives _can_ be caused by Linux - if a disk is 'mounted' it won't eject, and if a program's playing up and refusing to release a file handle (or whatever it's called) it won't unmount. But if the drives won't eject ever, then you probably do have a hardware issue.

Frankly the best option is probably to just buy new drives. The emergency eject hole is just that - for emergencies, or at least, if you have a disc in there you want and it won't eject normally (perhaps because the drive's been removed from a PC). Using it repeatedly could damage the drive.
    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Re: optical drives won't eject

funny part is that when i'm ripping cds, /dev/hdb will eject when ripping is done (sometimes). But i think you are right, I will most likely have to buy new drives.
      I tried Enlightenment once, it was pretty cool.

Comment

Working...
      X