• Show
Clear All

32 or 64 bit??

I have the following PC:

- motherboard Foxconn 761GXK8MC
    - processor AMD Sempron 3000+ socket 754@ 1800 MHz
    - video: SiS Mirage Graphics, 128 MB mem, refresh 60 Hz, 1280x1024 max
    - memory: 2x 512 MB

I cannot figure out if the processor is 32 or 64 bit, I think the main board is indeed 64 bit.
    So I figured I download the Ubuntu 7.10 AMD64 live CD version, put it on CD and try it out. It runs fine without problems (apart from a slight video problem), so so far so good. Now I wonder if this automatically means that my entire system is indeed 64 bit, or can I only find this out if I run an application based on a 64 bit system?? I assume that running on a 64 bit based system will give me twice the speed compared with a 32 bit system, believing this means the number of data lines is doubled, therefor increasing the data transfer rate with a factor of 2 with the same clock speed.
    Are you Microsoft's slave, or do you master Linux?

Re: 32 or 64 bit??

With that Live CD booted and running, click KMenu>System>KInfocenter, and click on the "processor" and see if it tells you.

Comment

Google + "AMD Sempron 3000+" = AMD website, which says "The AMD Sempron™... features include: AMD64 Technology"

Your processor is indeed 64-bit

Comment

Just a quick warning. Java & Flash do not play nice in 64 bit.

Also, while it should be faster it won't be twice as fast, there are many other factors that determine the speed (eg. memory) that will remain unchanged.

Comment

Further details:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3092517.0

Comment

I use a semprom +2800 which is 64bit. It plays very nicely with kubuntu 7.10. It does seem to be a little speedier in some things and the others i don't see much difference. (like video converting, making, etc ) It also works with ubuntu 7.10 and the 8.04 thats just come out. Hope this answers your question

Comment

Thank you, thank you!

Solves my problem!

Since I still have the occasional (frequency of failure increases slowly) boot problem with my PC, I'm trying to sort out the best running configuration, so when it finally 'goes like Elijah' to speak in the words of Chi Coltrane I can set up a new system with the best configuration, this time no longer dual boot though!

Are you Microsoft's slave, or do you master Linux?

Comment

Actually is somewhat related news I saw the other day that gnash (a FOSS flash player) has now reached the stage of being able to playback youtube vids, and it works in 64bit (however it still lacks much other functionality of full flash). Promising news.

Comment

Originally posted by marshallbanana
                  Actually is somewhat related news I saw the other day that gnash (a FOSS flash player) has now reached the stage of being able to playback youtube vids, and it works in 64bit (however it still lacks much other functionality of full flash). Promising news.
                  Something plays Youtube and other flash sites just fine on my 64-bit rig. I have both flashplugin-nonfree and gnash installed, so I'm not sure which is doing the flash playing.

Once in awhile I have noticed the "nspluginviewer" process going crazy and running one of my CPU cores up to 100% -- it hasn't happened in the past week so maybe it has been fixed by an update. This would happen after a Firefox browser session where I was running some flash app, and then even after Firefox was closed that process would run amok. Of course it is easy to just kill the process, but I wanted to give fair warning.

Comment

I use 64 bit version only and I have not really experienced much problems with flash lately which has been related to me running 64 bit. The one major problem I had was avoidable, but someone in ubuntu decided to publish a flash upgrade that had not been tested thoroughly on kubuntu 64.

Comment

Working...
                    X