Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to add a module to an exsisting kernel, SMB and NFS servers are not install

Hi all,

Been a Kubuntu user now for 4 whole days
    Just one problem so far, I can not seem to find a "how to" for the correct way of upgrading the kernel. Well let me tell you what i want to do. I just installed with the desktop kernel, and I can not share any directories, get error message: SMB and NFS servers are not installed on this machine, To enable this module the servers.....

I know in gentoo you have to add SMB and NFS to the kernel, I have tried 4 "how to's" all they do is generate errors, examples of what i have tried:

# make menuconfig
    HOSTCC scripts/basic/fixdep
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:107:23: error: sys/types.h: No such file or directory
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:108:22: error: sys/stat.h: No such file or directory
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:109:22: error: sys/mman.h: No such file or directory
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:110:20: error: unistd.h: No such file or directory
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:111:19: error: fcntl.h: No such file or directory
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:112:20: error: string.h: No such file or directory
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:113:20: error: stdlib.h: No such file or directory
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:114:19: error: stdio.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/include/syslimits.h:7,
    from /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.3/include/limits.h:11,
    from scripts/basic/fixdep.c:115:

I have tried others same kinda error.

Any fix? or another way to enable Advanced Sharing? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: How to add a module to an exsisting kernel, SMB and NFS servers are not inst

You can add modules using modprobe. I added Visor to mine in order to sync my Palm with Jpilot.

# modprobe visor
    # echo visor >> /etc/modules

txWingMan

Comment

Re: How to add a module to an exsisting kernel, SMB and NFS servers are not install

thank you, but I found what I needed:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/nfs-server...in-ubuntu.html

now I am still trying to work it out...

my gentoo samba smb.conf file looks like this:

[global]
      workgroup = workgroup
      netbios name = WORKGROUP
      # server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field

servewr string = Kubuntu

# "security = user" is always a good idea. This will require a Unix account
      # in this server for every user accessing the server. See
      # /usr/share/doc/samba-doc/htmldocs/Samba3-HOWTO/ServerType.html
      # in the samba-doc package for details.

security = share

[ETHAN]
      path = /Ethan/Ethan/
      guest ok = yes
      writeable = yes
      browseable = yes

Since this seemed to work good for gentoo, I have decided to copy the same for Kubuntu. Does not seem to work though. I still have the Default Kubuntu file too 8)

I can see all my windows shares from Kubuntu, even am able to set up my own shares now. Now if I could only be able to see the shares from any of my other pcs.

Comment

Re: How to add a module to an exsisting kernel, SMB and NFS servers are not install

FIXED!!!!!!!!!!

http://kubuntu101.blogspot.com/2005/...ing-samba.html

hahahaha Why is it whenever you findout what has been giving you linux headaches all day, was so very simple to fix!! And makes you out to appear really dumb!
        I am a newbie to all of this, and samba with kubuntu gives the impression that it is installed until you try to share anything, then you find out that only part(s) of Samba is installed.

Comment

Re: How to add a module to an exsisting kernel, SMB and NFS servers are not inst

Good job. I guess I was way off, huh...
          txWingMan

Comment

hahahaha Why is it whenever you findout what has been giving you linux headaches all day, was so very simple to fix!! And makes you out to appear really dumb!
            I am a newbie to all of this, and samba with kubuntu gives the impression that it is installed until you try to share anything, then you find out that only part(s) of Samba is installed.

Yep also the search function on this forum would have spit out pages of samba related stuff. Including the fact that it is not installed by default

Any way glad you got that solved.

Bythw, I am sue you have noticed that geentoo is a completely different creature
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
            X