This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cdrom no such device

I have problems with my cdrom drive. Was able to install Kubuntu Gutsy 7.1 from my cdrom drive but now it can not find it. Tried music, dvd, data - nothing! Have gone over the forum but have not found a solution. Any help appriciated.

Re: cdrom no such device

Running "hwinfo --cdrom" returns nothing.

Comment

Would it help me if I purchase an external harddrive?

Comment

I wouldn't just yet.

What was the result of the command hwinfo --cdrom? Did you get this:
        The program 'hwinfo' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
        sudo apt-get install hwinfo
        bash: hwinfo: command not found
        Meaning that hwinfo isn't installed. You can choose to install it, or you can issue the following command:
        Code:
        sudo lshw -html > my-hardware.html
        This will create an html document called my-hardware.html in your home directory. You just click on it and Konqueror will open it. Very easy to read and find all your systems hardware information. With the file open, press Ctrl+F and type cdrom and you should be taken straight to the section containing the information about your cdrom.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

After reading through the forum I had installed "hwinfo" but when I run "hwinfo --cdrom" in the terminal it returns nothing at all. Querying other hardware will return information.

Comment

Well, we know the cdrom exists and works (or did) as you used it to install Kubuntu. Have you run the other command I suggested? And as long as we're at it, in a console, type:
            Code:
            cat /etc/fstab && groups
            Copy and paste the output.

Comment

Have done what you suggested, thanks!

fred@freddy:~$ cat /etc/fstab && groups
              # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
              #
              # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
              proc /media/cdrom0 iso9660 defaults,loop 0 0
              # /dev/sda1
              UUID=155f2da7-c2e2-4c6c-8fcd-3b01e9c97d32 / ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
              # /dev/sda5
              UUID=6be33493-3044-4e9a-b2c1-8c73a405795a none swap sw 0 0
              /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
              fred adm dialout cdrom floppy audio dip video plugdev scanner lpadmin admin netdev powerdev
              fred@freddy:~$

Comment

Not much different in your cdrom entry in fstab from mine, but it is a bit different. Hmm.

Open Konqueror and type /etc in the location bar. Scroll down to the fstab file. Right-click it and select Actions | Edit as Root and change:
                /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
                to this:
                /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0
                You are removing atime, rw, dev, and suid from the entry. Save and close the file. Perform a normal shutdown/restart and see if you can access your cdrom.

Comment

Thanks for that but unfortunately it made no difference.

My fstab is now:

fred@freddy:~$ cat /etc/fstab && groups
                  # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
                  #
                  # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
                  proc /media/cdrom0 iso9660 defaults,loop 0 0
                  # /dev/sda1
                  UUID=155f2da7-c2e2-4c6c-8fcd-3b01e9c97d32 / ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
                  # /dev/sda5
                  UUID=6be33493-3044-4e9a-b2c1-8c73a405795a none swap sw 0 0
                  /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0
                  fred adm dialout cdrom floppy audio dip video plugdev scanner lpadmin admin netdev powerdev
                  fred@freddy:~$

Comment

Does the cdrom open and close properly? When you do put a cd in it, does anything happen? Any pop-up windows? Any cdrom icon show up on the desktop? Is the drive visible in System Menu | Storeage Media?

Comment

Sorry, I am working on a laptop. No icon on desktop for cdrom, no message, not visible anywhere. When I put a cdrom into the drive I can hear the drive start up for a few second and then the drive stops.

Comment

The html file for " sudo lshw -html > my-hardware.html" has no information about the cdrom.

Comment

What does K Menu | System Settings | Advanced | Disk & Filesystems show? Is the cdrom listed? If it is, click the Administrator Mode button, click on the cdrom entry and click Modify

What is listed for Mount Permission:
                          When you click on Advanced... are all items checked?

Comment

Originally posted by freddy
                            The html file for " sudo lshw -html > my-hardware.html" has no information about the cdrom.
                            That's not good. In Konqueror, rename the my-hardware.html to my-hardware.txt so you can attach it to your reply so I can look it over. You click on the Additional Options... below the Message: window and click on the blue folder. Browse to your home directory and click on the file.

Comment

In the disk & filesystems the cdrom is disabled. Selecting Modify shows mount point shows /media/cdrom0.

Comment

Working...
                              X