This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't mount other drives

I have kubuntu installed in one of my three hd's. In storage media i can't see the other two drives nor can i see the contents of an external usb drive. They are all marked as disabled in Disk & filesystems window, but when i try to mount them an error message appears. any ideas? i use kubuntu 7.10

Re: Can't mount other drives

Open a console and type:
    Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    copy and paste the output into your reply.
    Also, while in the console, type:
    Code:
    groups
    copy and paste the output into your reply.

This will help us to resolve your problem.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The command cat /etc/fstab gave the following. Notice that now the problem is only with an external USB drive (sdd1). My other two drives appear and function correctly after a fresh install of Kubuntu. So focus on the external USB drive.

Code:
      mimis@Mimis:~$ cat /etc/fstab
      # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
      #
      # <file system> <mount point>  <type> <options>    <dump> <pass>
      proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
      # /dev/sda6
      UUID=a931aec2-12d9-4881-a5e9-4da200e4f533 / ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
      # /dev/sda7
      UUID=7666de9d-1a33-4d61-9637-688dbaf82eeb /home ext3 nouser,defaults,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 2
      # /dev/sdb1
      UUID=F008326908322ECA /media/sdb1 ntfs defaults,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46,auto,rw,nouser 0 1
      # /dev/sdc1
      UUID=FA80966A80962CDF /media/sdc1 ntfs defaults,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46,auto,rw,nouser 0 1
      # /dev/sda5
      UUID=3054d335-c579-42f1-bcbb-26b273019f33 none swap sw 0 0
      /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
      /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
      /dev/sdd1 <mount\040point> auto users,auto,atime,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
      The command groups gave:
      Code:
      mimis@Mimis:~$ groups
      mimis adm dialout cdrom floppy audio dip video plugdev scanner fuse lpadmin admin netdev powerdev

Comment

The problem is with the syntax in bold in the last line of your fstab file:
        /dev/sdd1 <mount\040point> auto users,auto,atime,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
        If you intend to keep this USB HD connected all the time, you can fix this. First, edit the fstab file as root. Open Konqueror and navigate to /etc and right-click on the fstab file and select Actions | Edit as Root and change that line to this:
        /dev/sdd1 /media/sdd1 auto users,auto,atime,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
        Save and close the file. Then, open a console and type:
        Code:
        sudo mkdir /media/sdd1
        Perform a normal shutdown/restart. You should have access to the USB HD. Please report back.

Comment

I did as Snowhog suggested and now i can see the device in the storage media tab BUT it isn't mounted. When i try to access it i get a message at the bottom of the page saying:

"fusermount:user has no write access to mountpoint /media/sdd1. FUSE mount point creation failed (unmounting /dev/sdd1)"

The only way to mount it is manually by going to system settings->disks & filesystems and then right click on the drive and enable. For your help, i want to mention that after i mount it manually there are some folders that i can't delete! I mention that in case it helps you to figure out what the problem is...

Comment

Is this USB HD formatted for Windows (XP or higher)?

Comment

Yes, i formatted the drive with Partition Magic, under Windows XP, and then rebooted. I also have a problem copying or creating files with greek filenames in this usb drive. Does it have to do with the automounting problem?

Comment

Ok guys, i formatted the external usb drive with FAT32 system and automounting works just fine! So i guess if ti isn't for your inconvenience format your usb drives with fat32 and everything will be working ok! I had this idea because all my usb sticks work fine and i know that all of them are fat32 formatted, so i did the same with my drive...

Comment

Working...
                X