This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CD-ROM Mounting

I have tried to add my CD_ROM to the software repositories in Software Sources. My computer has a CD_ROM and a DVD (both RW).

When I click the add CD-ROM button I get a window with "Please Insert Disc in Drive". I insert the disk and press O.K. Then I get an error window that says:

"Error Scanning The CD"
    "E:Failed to mount the cdrom"

Any idea what is happening?

Re: CD-ROM Mounting

Not right off...try opening the CD in Konqueror - which would mount it - and try adding it to your repos again.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

I tried that when I loaded the cd. The pop-up window opened and I chose to open the cd. I then re-tried to mount with the same result. I tried with dolphin too. Same result.

Comment

OK, I'm not currently at my Kubuntu system, so I can't test this to see how exactly it will work, but try running this command from a terminal window:
        Code:
        sudo apt-cdrom add
        If I correctly understand what this command will do, it will ask you to insert a CD into your CD-ROM drive, scan it, and then add it to your /etc/apt/sources.list file (i.e. list of repos).  Let me know how it goes.
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e
          OK, I'm not currently at my Kubuntu system, so I can't test this to see how exactly it will work, but try running this command from a terminal window:
          Code:
          sudo apt-cdrom add
          If I correctly understand what this command will do, it will ask you to insert a CD into your CD-ROM drive, scan it, and then add it to your /etc/apt/sources.list file (i.e. list of repos). Let me know how it goes.
          What ever happened for you, I've been messing around w/ kubuntu for a month now and finally got around to putting in a dvd to try and get some pics from the archives I made before roasting my nfts hdd and going ext3. It never mounts and freezes up so I have to do a hard reboot.
          [img width=400 height=138]http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7460/rigsigeo0.jpg[/img]

Comment

It never mounts and freezes up so I have to do a hard reboot.
            It may be kinda' ugly, but try booting into Safe Graphics Mode from the CD, then pop in your DVD and see if that makes a difference.  If you would like to see how Kubuntu runs from your hard drive, you may want to either resize your current partition and install Kubuntu in the free space on another partition (which you could grow to consume your entire HD later should you decide to definitely nuke ( ) your NTFS partition), or check out Wubi - which can install Kubuntu "in" your NTFS partition and let you boot to it from the Window$ bootloader (pretty cool stuff) 8)
            Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e
              It never mounts and freezes up so I have to do a hard reboot.
              It may be kinda' ugly, but try booting into Safe Graphics Mode from the CD, then pop in your DVD and see if that makes a difference. If you would like to see how Kubuntu runs from your hard drive, you may want to either resize your current partition and install Kubuntu in the free space on another partition (which you could grow to consume your entire HD later should you decide to definitely nuke ( ) your NTFS partition), or check out Wubi - which can install Kubuntu "in" your NTFS partition and let you boot to it from the Window$ bootloader (pretty cool stuff) 8)
              I've had it installed on a few different hdd's for the past several weeks (months maybe) but I just haven't bothered trying to copy my old archives to hdd yet. I went looking for a pic and the dvd wouldn't mount. It's actuall vol 2 of 3. 1 and 3 both seem to be fine. I made 2 copies of each and verified them all. I might just take it to work and copy it to a thumb drive.
              [img width=400 height=138]http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7460/rigsigeo0.jpg[/img]

Comment

Cool then; sounds like a plan to me
                Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Working...
                X