This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB Digital Camera

I just plugged in my digital camera (Nikon D40) and Kubuntu didn't seem to recognize it. Has anyone else had this problem? Do I need to do something before kubuntu can recognize it?

Re: USB Digital Camera

Digikam isn't famous for recognizing the newer cameras, unfortunately. I resolved the problem by buying a cheap SD card reader on a USB cable, which is easily opened with D3lphin or Konqueror. I just take the card out of the camera, grab my pics, and do it that way.

Comment

Not just new cams. I have an old samsung cam that refuses to work. Again, card reader works, and I find its easier.

I did get it working ages ago by directly changing part of the kernel source for USB mass storage devices to recognise it, but it was a pain to change the source and recompile the kernel every time, so I just stuck to card reader.

Aaah the joys of Open source, something don't work, at least you can hack it yourself until it does.

Comment

lol, aww. Well thanks for the replys.

Comment

I had the same problems with Canon eos 350d. Sometimes works sometimes not. Wait till yor camera is not busy and than you can read its contents from Crusadre root mode like any storage device. be patient and it works. Also the same any card you may have. Just takes time and several times to manage. That is my experience.

Comment

In Gusty. Interestingly I had the same problem with two versions Olypus cameras FE220 and D590. But I didn't have this problem with a Kodak C713. I didn't have any problems with Fiesty.

For the Olympus I found that instead of connecting via the PC, I pressed the one for the printer it would connect and show the photos and you can download the pictures. The FE220 would disconnect every once in a while though.

The kernel in Gusty has been blamed for this issue and I hope they will have it fixed in the next distro.

Comment

How do you know it wasn't recognized just doesn't show up in digikam? Have you checked the dmesg or lsusb in the konsole?

My digikam used to open right up when I plugged my camera in no problems then one day it decided not to do that anymore. Now I goto open device and select mass storage device as my camera name doesn't show up anymore and it works fine.

Comment

Working...
              X