X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swapping internal back-up drive

Hi all,

just want to check I'm not about to cause myself any headaches. I've on old PC with 2 drives, 4Gb and 30Gb. I've installed the 4 Gb drive in my current PC and it shows up in /etc/fstab, reformatted and reading/ writing works fine. I now want to swap in the 30Gb drive and store the 4Gb at another location.

Would the simplest method be to:

1. Boot as usual
    2. Remove the drive's entry in /etc/fstab (or comment out with "# " as I need to use it again?)
    3. Power off, disconnect, etc
    4. Swap drives
    5. Boot up
    6. Create a mountpoint
    7. Find new drives UUID
    8. Mount drive
    9. Copy data from drive
    10. Unmount
    11. Use Gparted to reformat
    12. Mount drive
    13. Add entry to /etc/fstab (was going to copy the 4Gb's entry, just changing the UUID)
    14. Reboot

So, what have I missed?

Thanks

Re: Swapping internal back-up drive

As I read this, you have two PCs. The 'older' PC had two HDs, of which you removed the 4G HD and installed it into your 'current' PC, and that PC boots correctly with this 4G HD. Is this correct?

Assuming the answer is yes, then I read that you want to, after a normal boot (with the installed 4G HD) edit the fstab entry to comment out the lines to this HD, perform a normal shutdown/poweroff and then remove that HD and swap it for the 30G HD. Is this correct?

Assuming the answer is also yes, I have a question: How do you expect your PC to boot? Does the 30G HD have a working bootable OS installed on it
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

As I read this, you have two PCs. The 'older' PC had two HDs, of which you removed the 4G HD and installed it into your 'current' PC, and that PC boots correctly with this 4G HD. Is this correct?
      Yes, but these are both back-up drives, not the Kubuntu drive.

Assuming the answer is yes, then I read that you want to, after a normal boot (with the installed 4G HD) edit the fstab entry to comment out the lines to this HD, perform a normal shutdown/poweroff and then remove that HD and swap it for the 30G HD. Is this correct?
      I wasn't clear, the 4Gb drive can be disconnected at any time as both it and the 30 Gb are back-up drives, I have Kubuntu on another HD entirely. I was not sure what Linux does when it finds a drive in /etc/fstab with no drive there, as a relatively new user I'm trying to avoid using the terminal unless I know in advance! With the 30 Gb drive I'll be copying some files to my main HD then repartioning to use it as a /data space.

Assuming the answer is also yes, I have a question: How do you expect your PC to boot? Does the 30G HD have a working bootable OS installed on it
      Sorry for not being more clear- this is a back-up drive, separate to my Kubuntu drive

Comment

Thank you for the clarification.

What you originally proposed should work just fine (booting, commenting out the other drive(s) in fstab, shutting down and swapping the drives). If you didn't comment out the drive info in fstab and you rebooted either without the drives or a differently configured one, I'm pretty sure you'd have some issues with the boot process.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Working...
          X