X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HELP - Scanner Not Working!!!

Good Evening,
    OK, I bought an HP 8180 all-in-one printer because it is listed as one of the ones supported by Linux. It prints fine. But when I try to scan...I GET THE SAME ERRORS AS I GOT BEFORE! XSane says "no devices available." Kooka doesn't show the scanner at all.

Does anyone else out there use an HP 8100 series printer? If so, how did you get it to scan? Please help, because I've spent hours trying to make scanning work and I'm at my wits end with this.

Thanks,
    Matt

Comment

Have you been here yet?
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog,
        Yes, I've read those instructions, and did what they said.

I ran this command in the console:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install libsane-extras
        And here's the output I got:
        Code:
        Reading package lists... Done
        Building dependency tree
        Reading state information... Done
        The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
         libcompizconfig0 python-compizconfig
        Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
        The following NEW packages will be installed:
         libsane-extras
        0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
        Need to get 279kB of archives.
        After unpacking 946kB of additional disk space will be used.
        Get:1 [url]http://us.archive.ubuntu.com[/url] gutsy/universe libsane-extras 1.0.18.8 [279kB]
        Fetched 279kB in 1s (278kB/s)
        Selecting previously deselected package libsane-extras.
        (Reading database ... 99549 files and directories currently installed.)
        Unpacking libsane-extras (from .../libsane-extras_1.0.18.8_i386.deb) ...
        dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libsane-extras_1.0.18.8_i386.deb (--unpack):
         trying to overwrite `/usr/share/man/man5/sane-epkowa.5.gz', which is also in package iscan
        dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
        Errors were encountered while processing:
         /var/cache/apt/archives/libsane-extras_1.0.18.8_i386.deb
        E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
        Still not working.

Matt

Comment

Good morning,
          I have read everything I can get my hands on to fix this scanner issue.

Unfortunately, I feel I'm pretty much forced to get a new desktop with Vista for my main work. I'll keep Kubuntu on my laptop. That way, I can stay in tune with Linux developments, which I think are great, but get productive again.

I can live without wireless file sharing, and I can live without system sounds. But I can't lose any more time on basic office tasks.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Matt

Comment

[quote]dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libsane-extras_1.0.18.8_i386.deb (--unpack):
            trying to overwrite `/usr/share/man/man5/sane-epkowa.5.gz', which is also in package iscan[/qoute

This error is telling us that the iscan package (which you created with Alien) is the culprit here. you need to uninstall it before trying to install libsane-extras. Converting rpm packages to debian debs do not always work as often times the system libraries the alien-ed program needs and is looking for can be different from the ones installed on a debian system.

I am having trouble determining which scanner back-end the unit uses, as even though it is HP, some use a different chipset. The scanner is a separate device from the printer and may well use a different sane driver. And that driver may need a firmware file in order for it to work properly.

to help figure this out (if installing libsane-extras and editing the file as mentioned in the wiki link does not work), you will need to also install the package sane-utils as well.

Then, in a terminal window, run these commands and paste the output:
            Code:
            sane-find-scanner
            you are looking for a line similar to this in the output:
            [quote]found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9, product=0x2220, chip=LM983x?) at libusb:001:010[quote]
            those numbers will help specify what chipset, and therefore which sane backend it uses, and if needed what firmware file to track down.
            then run this:
            Code:
            scanimage -L
            this may tell exactly the model scanner it is. You may have to run the second command with sudo

One last thing to check is to see if your user is part of the group 'scanner', which should be the case in Gutsy, but it won't hurt to check that out in System Settings.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
              dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libsane-extras_1.0.18.8_i386.deb (--unpack):
              trying to overwrite `/usr/share/man/man5/sane-epkowa.5.gz', which is also in package iscan
              This error is telling us that the iscan package (which you created with Alien) is the culprit here. you need to uninstall it before trying to install libsane-extras. Converting rpm packages to debian debs do not always work as often times the system libraries the alien-ed program needs and is looking for can be different from the ones installed on a debian system.

I am having trouble determining which scanner back-end the unit uses, as even though it is HP, some use a different chipset. The scanner is a separate device from the printer and may well use a different sane driver. And that driver may need a firmware file in order for it to work properly.

to help figure this out (if installing libsane-extras and editing the file as mentioned in the wiki link does not work), you will need to also install the package sane-utils as well.

Then, in a terminal window, run these commands and paste the output:
              Code:
              sane-find-scanner
              you are looking for a line similar to this in the output:
              Code:
              found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9, product=0x2220, chip=LM983x?) at libusb:001:010
              those numbers will help specify what chipset, and therefore which sane backend it uses, and if needed what firmware file to track down.
              then run this:
              Code:
              scanimage -L
              this may tell exactly the model scanner it is. You may have to run the second command with sudo

One last thing to check is to see if your user is part of the group 'scanner', which should be the case in Gutsy, but it won't hurt to check that out in System Settings.
              Oh brother, I guess I'm not yet giving up!

OK, I ran this in the Konsole:
              Code:
              sane-find-scanner
              And here's the output I got:
              Code:
              # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
               # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
               # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
               # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [HP], product=0x6411 [Photosmart C8100 series]) at libusb:004:003
               # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by
               # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

# Not checking for parallel port scanners.

# Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
               # can't be detected by this program.

# You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
               # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
               # necessary.
              That information is correct! It is indeed an HP 8100 series scanner!

Next I ran this in the Konsole:
              Code:
              scanimage -L
              And here's what I got:
              Code:
              No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
              check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
              sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
              which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
              OK, so the scanner is not identified using scanimage -L, which tells me to check sane-find-scanner, which says the scanner is found. My head is really starting to hurt.

I'm going to give this another day.

Matt

Comment

OK, I ran the command to remove iscan, but I'm not sure if it's really gone.

Here's the Konsole session I entered to remove iscan:
                Code:
                matthew@Main:~$ sudo dpkg -r iscan
                (Reading database ... 99555 files and directories currently installed.)
                Removing iscan ...
                Processing triggers for libc6 ...
                ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
                Is it really gone?

Matt

Comment

try running scanimage -L with sudo, as I suggested

the scanner is a c8100

Anyway, from here it looks like you would need a newer version of the hplip software than Gutsy provides via Adept.

But look here for newer driver, with self-extracting/installing features
                  Just follow the directions on the page, and follow the prompts in the installer. It will even tell you what to install if it needs you to use apt/adept to install a missing library. It is basically taking HP's source files and compiling it for your system. Unfortunately, it will no longer be managed by Adept, so uninstalling will be less easy.

You probably need to uninstall the existing hplip stuff on your system, which will also cause the package 'kubuntu-desktop' to be removed. This package is safe to remove, but might cause some problems if you try to upgrade to Hardy later, so you may need to reinstall that package beforehand.

Comment

Originally posted by MatthewSchenker
                    OK, I ran the command to remove iscan, but I'm not sure if it's really gone.

Here's the Konsole session I entered to remove iscan:
                    Code:
                    matthew@Main:~$ sudo dpkg -r iscan
                    (Reading database ... 99555 files and directories currently installed.)
                    Removing iscan ...
                    Processing triggers for libc6 ...
                    ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
                    Is it really gone?

Matt
                    Yes, it was removed

Comment

Ok I just remembered to check the Ubuntu Personal Package Archives for newer hplip packages, and lo and behold, I found someone who has newer packages of the software !!!!

https://edge.launchpad.net/~tortoise/+archive

this will be the easiest, safest, way to go in my opinion. The packages are not the newest, but they are above the minimum requirements for your scanner.

To use, you just need to add the deb line at the top of the page to your repositories via adept (or manually to your sources.list if you wish), update, and install

Comment

OK, I installed libsane-extras from adept. It worked successfully.

However...
                        When I try to run Xsane, I get the same message: "no devices available."
                        When I try to run Quiteinsane from GIMP, I get the same message: "no local devices were found."
                        When I try to "Select scan device" from Kooka, nothing happens.

Matt

Comment

We need to catch you up D)

Unfortunately your scanner requires a newer version of the hplip software than what is available in Gutsy, if you read my previous post, I think i have found the solution that is easy and most likely successful

Comment

I still cannot find any useful info on the scanner part of your hardware, though. After installing the new software, try seeing if there are any setup things in the hplip utility in your utilities menu

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
                              Ok I just remembered to check the Ubuntu Personal Package Archives for newer hplip packages, and lo and behold, I found someone who has newer packages of the software !!!!

https://edge.launchpad.net/~tortoise/+archive

this will be the easiest, safest, way to go in my opinion. The packages are not the newest, but they are above the minimum requirements for your scanner.

To use, you just need to add the deb line at the top of the page to your repositories via adept (or manually to your sources.list if you wish), update, and install
                              OK, so I tried to add the deb line to my repository, and now I get a message from Adept that the APT database cannot be opened because of an "incorrect apt configuration or some similar problem."

What am I in for now?

Comment

you probably have the source line incorrectly entered, paste the contents of your /etc/apt/sources/list here, as well as the output of the command
                                Code:
                                sudo apt-get update
                                this will give us a better error message

Id also didn't seem to work in my gutsy here either, it just reinstalled the old packages
                                as i myself had typed the line in incorrectly

Comment

Working...
                                X