X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP - Scanner Not Working!!!

Hello,
    I had an older scanner that was working fine on Kubuntu, but it gave out and I bought an Epson Perfection V200 Photo scanner. I cannot get it working in Kooka. This is my production machine, and I have a deadline to scan 20+ photos today!

The scanner is installed and recognized by Kubuntu. In KinfoCenter > USB Devices, the scanner is listed correctly as "EPSON Scanner."

But when I run Kooka, no scanners are available. I go into Settings > Select Scan Device and nothing happens.

I've done a forum search, but the things people have posted are not clear to me.

Can someone please give me some pointers on getting this scanner to work? Is there an application better than Kooka?

Please help!

Thanks,
    Matt

Re: HELP - Scanner Not Working!!!

Have a look here:
    http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/...&bus=any&v=&p=

This is from the sane page:
    http://www.sane-project.org/

it seems to be supported but have a look at this quote:
    requires DFSG non-free iscan-plugin-gt-f670<br>overseas version of the GT-F670
    I hope this points you in the right direction.

Brought to you by GOOGLE

Comment

Fredh,
      Thanks for the links, but I have to admit they are totally confusing to me. One page says the V200 is supported, another page does not list it. The driver support page asks me what version of gcc I want to run, and on and on.

Can anyone explain what I'm supposed to do with the information -- DFSG non-free iscan-plugin-gt-f670<br>overseas version of the GT-F670?

Huh?

Matt

Comment

For the driver:
        http://www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/dl_scan.html

Choose the scanner and distro (debian) download and install with gdei if you have it. If not get it with adept/synaptic or
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install gdebi
        Before you do this make sure you have sane and xsane installed. libsane-extras may be a good idea as well.

Linux does not like epson scanners. Or rather it's the other way around.

HP/Printers/combos scanners tend to work out of the box.

Comment

I've seen those pages. I should have been more clear in my last post about what makes those instructions confusing:
          Ubuntu/Kubuntu is not listed as a valid distribution. It lists Red Hat/Fedora, Mandrake/MandrivaSuSE, and JDS on one page.
          On another page it lists Red Hat/Fedora, Mandrake/Mandriva, TurboLinux, VINE, SuSE, Debian, Fedora Core, and "Others."

Does Ubuntu fall in the Debian category? I don't see how "Others" will help.

Further, the instructions for installation are only given for RPM packages.

Anyway, I'm heading to Kinko's to scan these as I don't have any more time to waste on this now. I'll try to solve the problem later.

Thanks for your help,
          Matt

Comment

Kubuntu (ubuntu) is a derivative on debian. So get the debian version as pointed out above.

Install and use gdebi to install. It will pop up automatically when you click on the driver.

As pointed above as well install the sane stuff first. (from adept/synaptic or apt-get)
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Fintan,
              Here are the choices for files that can be downloaded:
              iscan-2.8.0-1.c2.tar.gz
              or
              iscan-2.8.0-1.c2.i386.rpm

I downloaded both, but Gdebi does not recognize either one. Is there a way to make it open these?

Thanks,
              Matt

Comment

iscan-2.8.0-1.c2.tar.gz. Sorry I thought it was a deb. file which gdebi can install. My fault.
                You will have to unpack in dolphin or konqueror it going: right click->actions->unpack to subfolder (or something similar mine is in german). The open up the file and read the readme.
                Here is a quote from there explaning how to install:

4-2 Installing a tar file

Execute the following command to complete the installation.

# tar -zxvf iscan-${version}-${release}.tar.gz
                # cd iscan-${version}
                # ./configure
                # make
                # make install

Note that the installation of Image Scan! for Linux from tar requires
                that sane has been installed from tar as well.
                Okay now you have to install build-essentials from adept/synaptic/apt-get.

Now for the installation:
                You have already done the first line.
                If you are in the file you unpacked you can just open a terminal Riht click on the screen->actions->open terminal) and forget the second line.
                Now follow the instructions from line 3 onwards line by line!! (copy / paste if your lazy like me ) in the terminal (without the #) and press "enter"

You should read the whole thing though.
                HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Fintan,
                  Thanks for trying to help. But I'm completely lost.

I posted this in another discussion, but here's what I've done:
                  1. Used alien to successfully convert the tar.gz file into a Debian file.
                  2. Ran the file using GDebi, and successfully installed it.
                  3. Restarted my system.
                  4. Tried running the scanner in Gwenview, Kooka, and Xsane. I either get nothing, or a message that there's no scanner available.

SANE and Xsane are both installed.

Matthew

Comment

Well I am sory for not being able to help. In the readme in the untared (unpaged) driver file there were instructions on using the driver. I have deleted that now since I don't need it. Sorry.

Maybe you should ask dible as he seems to have an epson scanner as well.

Comment

Fredh,
                      No need to apologize. We're all just trying to figure things out here!

I'm just really frustrated because I spent $100 on a new scanner, and then had to pay $40 yesterday to have Kinko's scan photos onto a CD for me. I have a very busy schedule, and I've had to run so many applications and code from Konsole to get the scanner working, I'm worn out from the effort.

Not my happiest day with Kubuntu!

Matt

Comment

I feel with you.
                        Not my happiest day with Kubuntu!
                        All I can say is that out of others experiences with epson, cannon, etc I just stick with HP printers, scanners.

I don't think you can blame Kubuntu (Linux) for this. There are still a few hardware companies that do not or only minimaly support Linux. This will change, but not today > :P

Can you sell your epson and buy a HP?

Comment

Originally posted by Fredh
                          Can you sell your epson and buy a HP?
                          Funny you should ask --> http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...090721.new#new

I'm just desperate to get back up and running with scanning again. I've learned my lesson, and will stick with HP from now on!

Matthew

Comment

Perhaps I'm just lucky with my old Epson Perfection 1640SU, but it has always "just worked". When it is turned on, lspci and lsusb show it sitting there, and it has worked fine with Kooka since Kubuntu 6.06. So I really have not had to learn anything about "how to make a scanner work". I didn't know Epson scanners could be a problem with *buntu.

To make sure that there isn't a hardware problem involved in this, I would do 2 tests with that scanner before I order another one:

1. Check it out on another computer/OS, and make sure it works in that situation.

2. Plug in some other known-good device in that USB connection to make sure your USB connector is working.

That's it -- probably not much help.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                              Perhaps I'm just lucky with my old Epson Perfection 1640SU, but it has always "just worked". When it is turned on, lspci and lsusb show it sitting there, and it has worked fine with Kooka since Kubuntu 6.06. So I really have not had to learn anything about "how to make a scanner work".
                              I wish I were that lucky! My old Canon LiDE scanner also "just worked," but not this one. Not by a long shot.

I didn't know Epson scanners could be a problem with *buntu.
                              Well, I guess we have both learned something here. Let my experience be a warning to anyone thinking about buying a new Epson scanner to use with Kubuntu!

To make sure that there isn't a hardware problem involved in this, I would do 2 tests with that scanner before I order another one:

1. Check it out on another computer/OS, and make sure it works in that situation.

2. Plug in some other known-good device in that USB connection to make sure your USB connector is working.

That's it -- probably not much help.
                              I appreciate the effort, but I'm not about to carry this scanner to places where Windows Vista is installed, get it running, do a test scan, etc. I'm positive this scanner would work fine in Vista (hate to admit it).

As far as the USB connection goes, that port works fine. I've had external hard drives, printers, and my previous scanner all hooked up to it.

Also, when I turn the power on, the scanner shows up successfully in KInfocenter > USB devices. So Kubuntu "knows" the scanner is there, but Kooka, XSane, and Gwenview just can't use it.

I do appreciate your help on this, but it looks like a dead end. I haven't bought the new printer yet (still comparing prices) so if anyone has a solution I'd be happy to hear it!

Matthew

Comment

Working...
                              X