This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Monitors configuration

My video card (nVidia 8500GT) has two outputs, VGA and DVI (w/ HDCP). Have a few questions:

1) I've tried plugging my projector via the DVI but nothing is displayed, how do I change xorg.conf to display on the DVI port?
    2) I have MythTV installed and I'd like it to be output on my DVI port and the desktop on the VGA, how can I do this?
    3) Is HDCP done on the card or do is this a software thing? I think it's hardware but never know. My projector requires this to have 1080i capabilities.

Re: Dual Monitors configuration

Hmm... If nVidia provides a configuration tool, I'd try that first.
    Next thing to try would be the Monitor & Display component of System Settings. Back up /etc/X11/xorg.conf and knock yourself (or your X server) out.

Failing that, see a nice how-to here.
    For external use only.

Comment

Re: Dual Monitors configuration

That howto is actually a little out of date, there could be an easier way...

Firstly see if the nVidia config tool has options (I believe it does) - you'll need the official binary nVidia drivers installed (search here for "envy" if you don't yet have those).

If not then, since Gutsy, you might be able to use the "xrandr" tool to turn displays on and off... the command might look something like "xrandr --output DVI-0 --auto". Run "xrandr" without arguments to see if it can tell you have multiple outputs.

If that fails, then what SheeEttin says is definitely the way forward

Comment

Working...
      X