This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nVidia drivers in KDE4 (Solved)

I'm attempting to make a complete switch to KDE4. But I don't know how to get the drivers for my video card installed in it...

Using Restricted Driver Manager in KDE3 and then launching 4 didn't work very well. I could use desktop effects but couldn't use OpenGL.

Help?
    Kev

Re: nVidia drivers in KDE4

Try to stay away from the Restricted Drivers Manager for now, it tends to be a little buggy and can complicate your issues. I've found the easiest and smoothest way to install Nvidia drivers is with Envy. It will download, install, and configure the correct driver for your Nvidia card/GPU, and does an excellent job.

To install it, since you're using Gutsy, you should just be able to click on the .deb package, which will launch Gdebi. If that doesn't work, use the commands
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i envy*.deb
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install -f
    Once Envy is installed, run it with the command
    Code:
    envy -t
    Select option "1" to install the Nvidia driver, and let it do its thing. After Envy installs the driver, choose "yes" when asked whether you want Envy to configure your xorg.conf, but "no" when asked if you want to reboot your computer.

Finally, run the command
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --composite; sudo reboot
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Re: nVidia drivers in KDE4

This works, although I had to jump into KDE 3 to get envy to install. Simply wouldn't do it in 4.

Thanks!
      Kev

Comment

Re: nVidia drivers in KDE4 (Solved)

No problem
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Working...
        X