This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driver for digital camera?

I've just gotten a digital camera that I can't find a driver for, I'm hoping someone can help. The camera was a gift and works fine under windows 98, but Kubuntu won't recognize it. I don't know if there is some voodoo to mounting a camera.

The camera was part of a "digital photography for dummies" kit. The camera is an import, I think, from a company named Sakar and the model number is 75379.

It's a great little camera and uses a USB cable to connect. I was hoping it would mount as a USB drive and I could just drag the picture files off of it, but no reaction from Kubuntu when I connect the cam.

I looked in DigiKam's list for it, and although there are about 3 Sakar cameras listed, the 75379 isn't there.

Any help or thoughts appreciated.
    I distrust morning people, largely because I suspect them of getting together early one day while the rest of us were asleep and setting up the rules of civilization.

Re: Driver for digital camera?

First off, if the camera has a PictBridge mode, disable it. I don't know what it is, but my camera works fine without it.

Then, open up Konsole and execute "lsusb". Connect the camera and execute "lsusb" again. Look for changes between the two. This will tell you if it's recognized or not.
    If that works, execute "dmesg | tail". You'll see a bunch of lines, but one repeated thing, looks like this: "[sdX]", where X is a letter, probably between a and f. This is the camera's device node, and you can now mount the camera from that device node, like so: "sudo mount -o rw,uid=1000,gid=1000 /dev/sdX /media/camera" (assuming your UID and GID are 100, you replace the X, and the mount point /media/camera exists).
    For external use only.

Comment

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it.

When I plug the camera in, lsusb gives me a new device:
      Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0979:0227 Jeilin Technology Corp., Ltd
      and the results of dmesg|tail are:
      [41082.783651] usb 1-1.6: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 6
      [41082.896290] usb 1-1.6: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
      I don't see any info there that I could use as a device reference, do you?

I also tried looking in the KDE control center under cameras and there are 4 Sakar cameras listed, 2 with similar model numbers but their configs don't work with this camera.

DigiKam also lists about 3 Sakar cameras and none of those settings work. I'm assuming that this is a newer camera.

Any ideas what else I should try/look at?
      I distrust morning people, largely because I suspect them of getting together early one day while the rest of us were asleep and setting up the rules of civilization.

Comment

That can't possibly be all that appeared in dmesg...
        Try opening KSystemLog with the system log open, and attach it again. All new lines should appear at the bottom in bold.
        For external use only.

Comment

Sadly, that is, in fact, what dmesg says. That, and no more.

I've tried running the System Log app, but it doesn't seem to do any live updating when I plugin the camera. I even tried having it look at some other log files, and now it locks up when I launch it, so I've obviously messed up its config file, but I can't find where it is to fix it. (sigh)...

Comment

Hmm.
            Well, KsystemLog's config is at ~/.kde/share/apps/ksystemlog/ksystemlogui.rc and/or ~/.kde/share/config/ksystemlogrc . That much I can tell you. (Oh, and I've had some experience with KSystemLog... it may be that there is binary data in the file.)

As for the camera... If you can't find it in a log, you can always look at new device nodes.
            Execute "ls /dev/sd*" before and after you connect the camera. The new node(s) are the ones for the camera. You want to mount the one with the number on the end.
            For external use only.

Comment

you are probably suffering from this kernel bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/digikam/+bug/145239

USB cameras won't mount (at least not automatically) until Hardy Heron is out (it's fixed already in the Alpha releases, but unfortunately there's no fix for Gutsy). You could also mount with Feisty, it worked properly then.
              Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
                Hmm.
                Well, KsystemLog's config is at ~/.kde/share/apps/ksystemlog/ksystemlogui.rc and/or ~/.kde/share/config/ksystemlogrc . That much I can tell you. (Oh, and I've had some experience with KSystemLog... it may be that there is binary data in the file.)
                Apparently I had a worse problem than I knew, since I found that after I fixed my swap partitions (which apparently got clobbered during the Gutsy upgrade), ksyslog worked fine.

Originally posted by JohanLingen
                you are probably suffering from this kernel bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/digikam/+bug/145239

USB cameras won't mount (at least not automatically) until Hardy Heron is out (it's fixed already in the Alpha releases, but unfortunately there's no fix for Gutsy). You could also mount with Feisty, it worked properly then.
                I can't believe such a serious bug would not be backported to the current release?

Also, I noticed in the discussion that someone mentioned that F-Spot works, I'll give that a try. I'm assuming that it uses a different method of mounting the camera.

Thanks for the help, folks! I love this community!

Comment

Working...
                X