This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no sound on an HP dv6000

I just got Gusty running on my HP dv6000 but I discovered today that there is no sound. Anyone know how to fix it? I assume that it is a built-in sound system. I can hear beeps when I use the volume buttons, but I don't get anything when I press the test sound button in the sound settings menu. Thanks in advance.

Re: no sound on an HP dv6000

Navigate to Kmenu -> System Settings -> User Management. Click the "Administrator Mode..." button on the bottom-right, click your username, and click "Modify...". Make sure the "audio" group is listed in the "Secondary Groups" section (add it if it isn't there). If you had to add it to your list of secondary groups, logout of Kubuntu, and log back in; then, test your sound.

If it is listed, or the above didn't work, try following this Comprehensive Sound Problems Solutions Guide.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Thanks, I'll try your first suggestion. I have already followed the sound solutions guid to no avail.

Comment

I do have audio as a secondary group, still no sound

Comment

What sound card/chip do you have?
          Asus G1S-X3:
          Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Look over this

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Gutsy_Intel_HD_Audio_Controller
            Registered Linux User #418555<br />Kubuntu User #9254<br /><br />aptosid 2010-01 Xfce / aptosid 2010-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Wheezy Xfce / Kubuntu 10.04<br />aptosid 2011-01 Xfce / aptosid 2011-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Testing Gnome<br />Debian Sid Gnome<br />Epidemic 3.2<br />ALL pulseaudio free by default

Comment

I don't know what changed, but I have sound today! The only thing I can think of is that my system usually freezes when I shut it down from the k-menu. Last time I shut it down from the command line and it powered off properly. I wonder if something was not getting saved in the setup because of the freeze. Thanks all for the help. I do believe that I have all of the installation problems worked out now! Thanks again.

Comment

No problem . . . it's awesome when things fix themselves
                Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Working...
                X