X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Second Hard Drive Issues

Nope -- that won't fly.

You can only have a single instance of each of the top-level Linux directories, including /home.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      While I'm sure it is possible to do this, it's not a great idea, because if anything should go amiss with that drive, your entire Linux filesystem will probably go crash -- the Linux directory structure at the top level is "fixed" -- if it ever tries to boot and finds no "/home" (because of a hard drive issue), you'll have no system at all. It would far better, and more reliable, to link the data on the second drive into the existing /home directory on the first drive.
      That's not true. You just won't be able to login through KDE. Normally, if a mount fails during startup, you have the option of logging into recovery mode. The only time your system is completely unusable is: when "/bin", "/etc", or "/" are inaccessible or corrupt. In that event, you need to use a boot-cd.

On the note of having a backup HOME directory, it almost sounds like you want to do a software raid. Realistically, it'd be a waste. Just backup your documents and files in your HOME directory every so often (you should do this even WITH raid).
      In the event of the HDD that stores HOME goes belly up, you'd just have to restore from your backup. You could even automate backups using CRON (or any cron-like applications).

Comment

Originally posted by raijinsetsu

That's not true. You just won't be able to login through KDE.
        I stand corrected -- thanks raijinsetsu!

Comment

Originally posted by raijinsetsu
          Originally posted by dibl
          While I'm sure it is possible to do this, it's not a great idea, because if anything should go amiss with that drive, your entire Linux filesystem will probably go crash -- the Linux directory structure at the top level is "fixed" -- if it ever tries to boot and finds no "/home" (because of a hard drive issue), you'll have no system at all. It would far better, and more reliable, to link the data on the second drive into the existing /home directory on the first drive.
          That's not true. You just won't be able to login through KDE. Normally, if a mount fails during startup, you have the option of logging into recovery mode. The only time your system is completely unusable is: when "/bin", "/etc", or "/" are inaccessible or corrupt. In that event, you need to use a boot-cd.

On the note of having a backup HOME directory, it almost sounds like you want to do a software raid. Realistically, it'd be a waste. Just backup your documents and files in your HOME directory every so often (you should do this even WITH raid).
          In the event of the HDD that stores HOME goes belly up, you'd just have to restore from your backup. You could even automate backups using CRON (or any cron-like applications).
          Ah thanks a lot for that.

Also, thanks to dibl, it works 100% perfect now. It also gives me a place to easily backup any of my other documents.

=]

Comment

Working...
          X