This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Continuous Reboot - Processor Problem?

OK. Due to issues, I have discovered that VirtualBox did indeed mess up the Host partition. I've gone quite a while with out the issues I addressed there because of that. That issue being the after GRUB menu appears and I select Kubuntu, it never gets to the point where it says Loading just before switching to the Kubuntu Loading Splash, it just reboots, does this each and every time. Unfortunately, Windows XP doesn't exhibit this problem. The Kubuntu LiveCD and my Kubuntu USB memory stick boot setup do the same thing which is totally independent from the hard drive (and other tests on the Hard drive rule it out as well). My puppy linux USB memory stick boot system works fine. Memory tests rule out the memory (hopefully). So, even though none of the log files I've looked through show no errors (don't even get a Kernel Panic), and it is only Kubuntu (which never has done this ever on this machine) I started looking at other BIOS options. I played around with numerous settings and none worked until I got to Hyper Threading. When I set this to off, the Kubuntu boot methods I mentioned worked. Since the USB and LiveCD are independent of any updates and worked before, I can only assume that it is an issue related to the Processor. Does this seem logical? If so, what could be going wrong there? Remember, all Kubuntu boot methods worked previously, now they don't. Could the BIOS be messed up or is the processor showing signs of future problems. My system is truly working now, but without Hyper Threading on. Any one?

Re: Continuous Reboot - Processor Problem?

Hmm.
    Well, you can read about hyper-threading here and decide for yourself if you need it.

Anyway, try removing the "splash" and "quiet" options from your kernel line (in Grub) and see if that shows anything useful. (The scroll lock or pause key will probably stem the flow of messages. Hit the same key or enter to continue.)
    For external use only.

Comment

Wow, that's disheartening! I didn't know that they dropped HT and didn't realize that it seems to consume that much more energy. I guess I really don't need it.

Yeah, I removed those from GRUB, but never saw errors or anything. It's really weird. Just Kubuntu, and it really all started when I installed VirtualBox. I'm just wondering if it altered something somewhere that, even though I uninstalled it, it still has a change or configuration somewhere lurking around. Which really that doesn't make sense because the LiveCD doesn't work either. It really has me puzzled. I wonder if my system can handle a new CPU, possibly dual core.

Comment

Man!! I know I've been shouting success on finding the problem for this but I finally think I did. First it bothers me when computers behave the way they shouldn't and unexplained at that. Because of that I kept looking. Nothing appeared. Well, just 15 minutes ago I tried my usb memeory in a USB HUB I have setup for reading the camera and other USB stuff. The stick didn't ID. I unhooked the USB HUB and back up, the USB memory activated briefly then back off. Hmmm. Completely removed it, rebooted back into BIOS and turned on Hyper Threading. Booted into Kubuntu fine. Rebooted one more time to make sure and success!! Now why turning off Hyper Threading helped is beyond me, but this, I hope , is the problem.

Now, should I try VirtualBox again? I don't know. It did mishandle the Host Drive, but it may have been coincidence with this issue. Still gun shy on that one.

Comment

Hell, go ahead. What good is a perfectly functional computer if you can't mess it up? Hehehe!

I have seen USB cause some funky issues. Your issue might have been related to power. If there was some kind of short inside your USB device, or the cable, your HT CPU might have been eating up more power than the power supply could handle (because a butt-load of the power was feeding a short that was slowly barbecuing your USB device from the inside out). Turning off HT reduced the load on the power supply, allowing your PC to boot and operate.

You removed the short, and so the power supply had it's surplus of power back. So HT was ok to turn back on again.

OK, so now, you need to disassemble and inspect your motherboard. If you have any capacitors bubbled up around the CPU, you might wanna think about replacing it soon. All the electrical funkiness can cause this type of problem.

VirtualBox should no longer be a problem. Fire it up!

Comment

Hell, go ahead. What good is a perfectly functional computer if you can't mess it up? Hehehe!

I have seen USB cause some funky issues. Your issue might have been related to power. If there was some kind of short inside your USB device, or the cable, your HT CPU might have been eating up more power than the power supply could handle (because a butt-load of the power was feeding a short that was slowly barbecuing your USB device from the inside out). Turning off HT reduced the load on the power supply, allowing your PC to boot and operate.
            Agreed and good point there. Never thought of it that way, but that really makes sense. Yeah, when I unhooked it, it was VERY warm.

Comment

Working...
            X