This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nvidia reports wrong opengl version SOLVED

I've got Kubuntu 7.10 installed from the 32bit cd iso on my computer and am using the nvidia-glx-new drivers. It reported the correct opengl version "2.1.1 NVIDIA 100.14.19".

When i bought a new larger hard drive, i reinstalled Kubuntu 7.10 from the 32bit dvd iso. It is the same computer and the same nvidia card(GeForce 7800 GT/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!), just a different HD, a different iso, and a few months time difference. Now when programs check the opengl version it says "1.2 (2.1.1 NVIDIA 100.14.19)" which is incorrect. It should just say "2.1.1 NVIDIA 100.14.19".

Wine and other opengl programs identify this version as being opengl 1.2, when it is supposed to be opengl 2.1.1, so they react as if shader support isn't there(which means that programs like Oblivion crash and burn).

According to glxinfo, it is the 1.2 GLX server version, which might be significant since that is the erroneous number included in the OpenGL version string. But the client version of GLX is 1.4.

I hooked up the smaller hd and it still works correctly, and has been apt-get updated and upgraded. I copied the xorg.conf file from the smaller hd to the larger one, and that didn't help.

How do i update the GLX Version? How do i get the OpenGL version string to show up correct?

Re: nvidia reports wrong opengl version

That's a strange situation -- I've never heard of it before.

On the newly installed system, did you install the driver by using the "Restricted Driver Manager", or by configuring a VESA display and then installing nvidia-glx-new from the repository? I personally have been distrustful of the Restricted Driver Manager since it screwed up my Gutsy RC1 installation, and haven't used it since, although it seems to work for most people.

I would recommend that you download the Envy script installer and first choose "Remove the Driver" and then when it is done removing the driver, choose "Install the Driver" and see if it does the job correctly.

Also, Nvidia released a new driver just before Christmas -- ver. 169.07. Since I bought a new 8800GTS card, I decided I wanted the newest driver, and I just installed the downloaded driver. You might want to give that a shot. If you want to try that, follow the instructions here which says it is for Feisty but it will work the same on 7.10.

Sorry I can't be more helpful -- I have never before encountered this glx version problem. :P

Comment

Actually, your reply was very helpful. Envy {http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html} fixed it. I had initially used the restricted drivers manager to install the nvidia drivers.

OpenGL now reports the version string correctly, without the GLX version and then the OpenGL version in parenthesis.

It even fixed what i though was an unrelated issue, of the log out menu option only letting me log out to the login screen. I can now suspend, hibernate, restart, or turn off directly from the desktop.

Thank you very much.

Comment

Sounds like you are 'back in business!' Great.

Please return to your initial post in this thread, click the Modify button and include SOLVED in the subject line.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X