This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printer settings don't work

I recently installed an HP 2605DN network printer. I used the kde printer wizard, which seemingly worked like a charm, to change the default tray and paper type (letter ->a4). Did the same on the printer itself (it has a web interface). Now everything indicates that the settings are correct: the kde printer setup, the "properties" printing window in kpdf, the printer's webconfig page, cups' webinterface at http://localhost:631, all state A4 at Tray2 with duplex on.
    When I actually try to print a pdf file, the printer shows an error message stating that I should insert letter paper. Strange. So I tried firing up acrobat reader, looking at the printer settings there, and what do you know: letter, Tray 1 and duplex off, the default. Changing these settings to the desired ones allowed printing, but I have to do it every time.
    So now I suspect that for some strange reason, even though all config options point out that I have changed the settings, in reality the system still uses the default settings. Very annoying. It is a (k)ubuntu problem, my girlfriend's windows laptop has no problem printing on the network printer. Any suggestions?
    I.

Re: Printer settings don't work

I checked some more options: /etc/papersize is set correctly at A4, and I tried the suggestion from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=424230&highlight=print+letter"]this thread[/URL] by putting
    Code:
    LC_PAPER="POSIX"
    in /etc/environment. I found some threads on similar printing problems using openoffice, but that works fine for me. Printing a test page from the kde control center works fine too. So I guess it's purely a kpdf problem. Any suggestions?
    I.

Comment

You could try and install xpdf through adept. Let me know if you are having the same problems afterwards. That would let us see if you were having a KDE problem or a system error.
      Slackware 12 - 32 bit on a ABIT Fatal1ty AA8XE Motherboard w/ Pentium 4 3.6 gHz HyperThreaded CPU (OC&#39;d to 4.4 gHz) and 1066 mHz FSB, 4 GB US Modular Low Density DDR2 ram, eVGA Nvidia e-GeForce 6200 LE 512mb PCI-e x16 GFX video. Plays World of Warcraft great!<br /><br />Only Linux @ home since 1996

Comment

Ok, xpdf prints nicely, duplex and all. I tried printing something from kate, also no problem.
        So it must be a kpdf problem.
        I.

Comment

Working...
        X