This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PHILIPS MP3 player

HELP! I'm trying to add and delete files on my Philips MP3 player. All i keep getting is that it's unable to delete files and unable to write files. I can see the installed files in Dolphin but can't do anything else. I really don't want to admit defeat and use the wifes vista laptop. (She won't change to Kubuntu because of the Acer Orbicam not working).

So just to clarify. It mounts and unmounts. But i can't delete or add files. And trying as root won't work either.

Thanks in advance.

Simon

Re: PHILIPS MP3 player

I can't speak specifically to your Phillips mp3. Since your mounting the player successfully, have you checked the permissions and ownership of the mount before attempting a transfer?

You've made a lot more progress than I have with my Creative Zen V. When plugged into my K7.10, it won't even mount. I've given up and just use my wife's XP for the limited media transfer that I do.

IndyTim

Comment

Originally posted by IndyTim

You've made a lot more progress than I have with my Creative Zen V. When plugged into my K7.10, it won't even mount. I've given up and just use my wife's XP for the limited media transfer that I do.

IndyTim
      Have you tried Gnomad2 (http://gnomad2.sourceforge.net/)?
      It´s available through Adept and works fine with my Zen V+.

Comment

Hello, I have a 512mb Phillips. I have not had any problems with in Kubuntu. However, I do not have dolphin on. As previously mentioned, sounds like permissions. Some posts have mentioned problems with permissions with dolphin.

I use the console text based mc for a lot of file transfers, fast. It you click on "Left" on the green banner and then select "Long file list" it will spit out the permission of the files. peace

Comment

Originally posted by paxmark1
          Hello, I have a 512mb Phillips. I have not had any problems with in Kubuntu. However, I do not have dolphin on. As previously mentioned, sounds like permissions. Some posts have mentioned problems with permissions with dolphin.
          Same here, and it works without problems. I can move and delete files both in Konqueror and AmaroK.

If it's a permission problem, run
          $ sudo chmod -R 777 /media/PHILIPS

Depending on who owns the files (right click on a file and properties), 755 instead of 777 might be enough.
          The Nomad's Land - some Linux humor too

Comment

Just got it sorted out. Philips format their mp3 players with vfat. I plugged it into the wifes Vista laptop and reformatted as fat32 and now it's perfect.

Thanks for you help.

Comment

Working...
            X