• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: File order on external MP3 player

heh, no.

Comment

Check for a playlist (.mls, .pls, etc.) on your mp3 player. Otherwise, I can't explain it. mp3 players order files in a few ways: alpha-numerically ordered, filesystem ordered, random, or through a playlist. It shouldn't matter which program you use, unless your mp3 player is expecting a specific "config" file that would have to be written by it's own included software...

Comment

That's just it. There are no files on either of the MP3 players that I have tried, other than the MP3 files themselves.

And I'm trying this on 3 separate MP3 players with the same results.

Comment

If you're not having the problem in Windows, but you are having the problem in Linux, my guess is that there is a config file residing in a folder on the mp3 player that governs whether the playlist is randomized or is alphabetical by title or track number.

This is the case with the iPod Shuffle, for example. Since there is no display or interface to dictate whether the songs should be played in order or not, the Shuffle depends on the client (iTunes, Amarok) to make this determination.

The Shuffle also doesn't have an internal "randomizer," so it depends on the software client for this as well. The songs are randomized in the client as they are transferred to the Shuffle. My guess is that your Stone operates much the same way.

Here's my recommendation. Connect your Stone to a Windows box. format it/restore it/whatever to set it to factory default, and then transfer 5 songs into it. Connect it to your Linux box and download the whole filesystem. Then, restore it again to factory settings, connect it to Amarok/Rhythmbox/whatever Linux program you use, and transfer the same 5 songs. Again, download the whole filesystem into a separate file.

Compare the 2 downloads. I'm willing to bet that there will be some file somewhere in the filesystem that is different in the Windows version than in the Linux version.

Comment

Working...
          X