Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mounted drive unmounts on reboot - why?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounted drive unmounts on reboot - why?!

hi, i have already spent hours searching posts trying to find out how to mount my primary hard disk (it is 250GB SATAII and windows formatted, im running kubuntu on 80GB IDE drive) luckily after all this work, changing stuff and finding stuff etc i found out how to mount my 250GB so i can access it (it's strange, when i go into the storage media, right click it and click mount it comes up with some error, saying it can't do it) but if i go into the Konsole and type:

sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /media/sda

it mounts it and i can access it. the reason for this post however is that when i restart it (or shut down and turn on later etc) it unmounts itself, it's not exactly hard to redo but its just a pain, does anyone know why it does this, and if theres a way to keep it constantly mounted? (i have a problem with wireless to where when i restarted it it just seemed to stop working so now i have no internet and can't get it to work again..)

Re: Mounted drive unmounts on reboot - why?!

Fstab wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fstab

The fstab (for file systems table) file is commonly found on Unix systems as part of the system configuration. The fstab file typically lists all available disks and disk partitions, and indicates how they are to be initialized or otherwise integrated into the overall system's file system.

The fstab file is most commonly used by the mount command, which reads the fstab file to determine which options should be used when mounting the specified device.

Traditionally, the fstab was only read by programs, and not written. However, more modern system administration tools can automatically build and edit fstab, or act as graphical editors for it, such as the Kfstab graphical configuration utility available for KDE. It is the duty of the system administrator to properly create and maintain this file.

For K/X/Ubuntu:

How to fstab
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=283131

Link:

Topic: how to mount hard drive.. permanently
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3087116.0
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Make NTFS to be mounted during boot by adding the following line to the end of the /etc/fstab file:

Code:
      /dev/sda1 /media/sda ntfs-3g defaults 0 0
      Also make sure that there is 1(!) empty new line below the above one. Note that you have to edit /etc/fstab as root.

Comment

thanks both of you Beren your method worked perfectly and now the drive mounts on start up, thanks alot thanks for the links Rog

Comment

Great!. It's helpful for others searching the Forum, if you go to your first post in this thread and click the Modify button and add SOLVED to the subject line.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X