X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Severe system instability when using "3d" software

Hi all,

This all started when using Google Earth for Linux (nothing wrong with windows xp), and then tonight, the same with UrbanTerror (a game based on Quake - and again no problem with windows).

So this is what happens : the application starts correctly (I enter the game, or start navigating around our globe), when (I don't now exactely WHEN, or WHAT caused that) the screen does some strange to describe things :

1. Lines are drawn from the upper left corner of the screen and divide ALL the screen (that is fullscreen game AND screened application -- and keep f###ing the display AFTER leaving back to the "desktop". There are multiple lines, going diagonnaly in every direction. Some of the divided parts are black, some other are colored with the background color (some aspects of google earth or the game, and the rest of the computer, are still visible - but unusable), or

2. The exact same thing happens, but the lines originate in the center of the screen and also go to all directions of the screen. It appears that when I blindly manage to leave the faulty application, the "lines origin" move to the upper left corner described in 1.

As you may have probably understand, I'm quite a noob to linux (but experienced in windows, until XP - I've never had such problems back when I was a happy MS-slave).

This computer work very well on Linux (I used to play Battlefield2 on this exact config with all settings to the max.

I'm running the last version of Kubuntu, updated almost daily, upgraded from 7.04 (was far better, dev team!), with the nvidia drivers from nvidia.com successfully installed.

It's a 478 P4C 3.2 with 2*512 dual-channel CorsairXL and AGP 6800GS (brand "Point of View").

Again, winXPsp2 works like a charm (google earth, urban terror and even battlefield2... I'm not a hardcore gamer, just a FPS-enthuisast trying to play a little bit on linux).

Thanks.

ps : I didn't know how/what to search this on the forum, and english is not my mother tongue. I'm sure this is a known issue with an easy fix, just name it and send me where the solution is!

Thanks again & have a nice day/night !

Re: Severe system instability when using "3d" software

Could overheating be an issue?
    For external use only.

Comment

Working...
    X