This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bluetooth headphones

Edit: This post has be obsolescenced by the second post in this thread so you can skip straight to that.

I decided earlier tonight to have another shot at making my bluetooth headphones work with kubuntu. Well I have gotten much further than on previous attempts, this time I managed to pair the headphones with the laptop by a very round about method (with my headphones in pairing mode I went kbluetooth>configuration>input devices, by adding them as an input device (not exactly sensible given they are headphones) I managed to finally convince kbluetooth to prompt me to pair them, which I did). So I am now halfway there. And then comes the second half...

Now that they are paired the trick seems to be using a package called btsco (Adept description of bluez-btsco: A tool to that provides a way to use a bluetooth headset with Linux. It works well enough now to get voice-quality audio to and from most headsets). So having installed it* and then running
    Code:
    sudo modprobe snd-bt-sco
    I then, following a guide, tried the code:
    btsco -v 00:13:A94:2C:37
    (that number is the MAC address of my headphones, as reported by both kbluetooth and by 'hcitool scan'). However this generates the following
    Code:
    marshallbanana@MPU:~$ btsco -v 00:13:A9:D4:2C:37
    btsco v0.42
    Device is 1:0
    Voice setting: 0x0060
    Can't connect RFCOMM channel: Connection refused
    Does anyone have any idea what the problem is here?
    One possibility I've thought of is that it need the pin, however the device is already paired and so this shouldn't be the case. Also there is no option within btsco to do this (looked at btsco --help) so it seems highly unlikely.

Note: had it worked the desired output would look something more like
    Code:
    btsco v0.42
    Device is 1:0
    Voice setting: 0x0060
    RFCOMM channel 2 connected
    Using interface hci0
    *: Just in case someone tries using this as a guide I should note that at this point I also installed the packages bluez-hcidump, alsa-tools and alsa-utils however I'm not sure whether these are actually needed. I was just trying everything I could at this point.

Re: Bluetooth headphones

Just found on the bluez website that apparently since bluez-utils 3.16 (current in kubuntu is 3.19) using btsco is unnecessary. Instead their howto is as follows:
    bluez-utils-3.16 and newer:

Note: you will not need bluetooth-alsa, plugz, btsco or the like for audio to work. They are obsolete.

1. Make sure the audio service is installed and enabled (file /etc/bluetooth/audio.service should exist)
    2. modify your ~/.asoundrc to contain

pcm.bluetooth {
    type bluetooth
    device 00:11:22:33:44:55
    }

where 00:11:22:33:44:55 is the Bluetooth address of your headset (use for example hcitool scan to find it)
    3. configure your audio application to use the alsa device "bluetooth". See Supported Players for some examples.
    4. start playing
    So I started on this. Did step one, however in step 2 I can find no such file (I assume it should be at /etc/bluetooth/.asoundrc but checked many other locations as well). Any thoughts?

Comment

Okay, so I decided to go for a fudge on step 2 and created a text document /etc/bluetooth/.asoundrc with the contents mentioned for step 2 above, using my MAC address.

Now it's time for step 3. Apparently setting it up for amarok involves:
      Amarok configuration -> Engine -> Select: "alsa"

then

replace "default" with "bluetooth" in either "mono" or "stereo" field
      But alsa is not an option for engine and looking in adept there is no obvious candidate of what I need to install. Any ideas on this one?

Comment

~/.asoundrc means the file .asoundrc in your home directory (~).

Comment

as in
          /home/
          or
          /home/username/
          I'm guessing the second but just want to be sure

Comment

Yes, the second.
            For external use only.

Comment