X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charset problem with external hard drive

Hi there!

I used to work with Ubuntu, but I wanted to try Kubuntu, since almost all of the software I use has a K before the name. I'm liking it better than Ubuntu, but I'm having an issue that, if unresolved, will make Kubuntu unusable for me.

I'm portuguese and I have some files with "à" and "õ". I also have a NTFS external USB hard drive. When I connect the drive, Kubuntu mounts it but it cannot see the files with the above letters. But if I switch to Ubuntu (that is, Gnome) I can see the files.

On the other hand, I can see files with "á" and "õ" in my Windows (NTFS, of course) partition!

Can someone help me with this? Thanks in advance!

Re: Charset problem with external hard drive

Hmm...
    Go into media:/ (in Konqueror), find the drive, right-click > Properties > Mounting, and look at UTF-8 charset. If it isn't checked, check it. If it is, uncheck it and try it again.
    For external use only.

Comment

Tried that. Didn't work.

Any ideas?

Comment

Hi there! i'm having the same problem not only on my NTFS external hard disk but also on my internal ext3 partition. the problem with the NTFS external hard disk is similar to what viajador described, can't see them at all. and on the ext3 partition on my notebook, those characters appear as boxes or question marks, they'll only show if i rename them manually.

i tried what SheeEttin suggested but there's no such thing as "UTF-8 charset" under mounting.

Comment

Hmm, how interesting...
          If those drives are in your fstab, try adding the option "iocharset=utf8".
          For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
            Hmm, how interesting...
            If those drives are in your fstab, try adding the option "iocharset=utf8".
            ermm.... unfortunately i'm not very familiar with these coding stuff. how exactly do i do that?

Comment

Post the contents of /etc/fstab.
              For external use only.

Comment

here:

Code:
                # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
                #
                # <file system> <mount point>  <type> <options>    <dump> <pass>
                # /dev/sda3
                UUID=be54745d-c6e8-4981-801e-98dede473b47 / ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
                # /dev/sda2
                UUID=a54088cc-314f-4a03-8ad2-ea7de7dfb02d /media/sda2 ext3 nouser,defaults,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 2
                # /dev/sda1
                UUID=2C48A78B48A7527E /windows ntfs defaults,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46,auto,rw,nouser 0 1
                # /dev/sda4
                UUID=4719bdc0-1c61-418a-8d78-f47b6697f69c none swap sw 0 0
                /dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
                /dev/sdb1 /media/RemovableHardDisk ntfs uid=0,gid=1000,auto,rw,nouser 0 0
                /dev/sdb1 /media/RemovableHardDisk ntfs uid=0,gid=1000,noauto,rw,nouser 0 0

Comment

Well, you've got a few things of interest there.
                  First, delete one of the two /dev/sdb1 lines. The only difference is automounting (auto/noauto). Choose what you want and delete the other.
                  Next, install ntfs-3g through Adept Manager or whatever package manager you use. (Make sure it also installs ntfs-config.) When that's done, run "ntfs-config" (e.g. in Konsole) and it should get you up and running.
                  For external use only.

Comment

i thought ntfs is installed by default in Gutsy....

but i works now! thanks a million!!

.... and merry christmas!!

Comment

Working...
                    X