This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Epson Stylus Photo 1400

Hey, ok so I've never installed a printer under Linux before because... well I've not really had a printer I've wanted to use up to now :P

I'm running Gutsy 64bit and need a basic run through of how to install the printer. I know there is a CUPS and another driver but both seem to be for i386 not x64 so... I've downloaded the CUPS driver source for Debian... where do I go from here :P

Thanks in advance x
    Compy: AMD 64x2 6000+, Crosshair mobo, Enermax PSU, 4GB DDR2 800, 8800GTS 640mb, 24in cheapy monitor + secondary 17in, aprrx 1.6tb storage (internal) + external DVDrw, lots of nice big blue shiny quiet fans.

Re: Installing Epson Stylus Photo 1400

If your running Gutsy Gibbon go to "system settings" then click "printers" click "Add" and select "Add Printer/Class". Follow the wizard. As long as there are drivers available your done.

Comment

Ok, it seems to be one that isnt on that list there, so where do we go now :P
      Compy: AMD 64x2 6000+, Crosshair mobo, Enermax PSU, 4GB DDR2 800, 8800GTS 640mb, 24in cheapy monitor + secondary 17in, aprrx 1.6tb storage (internal) + external DVDrw, lots of nice big blue shiny quiet fans.

Comment

What jtek74 said is correct, but FIRST use Adept Manager (or apt-get) to install the "foomatic-db-gutenprint" package. After you do that, your Epson driver should show up in the place jtek74 said.

Comment

Rightles hun, will give that a go when I get back into le system

In Windozer right now, trying to pull myself away from the screen after doing some prints and talking with my man for like... 8 straight hours or so... bloody long distance relationships >_<

Anyways, thanks, will update :P

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
            What jtek74 said is correct, but FIRST use Adept Manager (or apt-get) to install the "foomatic-db-gutenprint" package. After you do that, your Epson driver should show up in the place jtek74 said.
            Its not there, my printer doesn't seem to be one onthe list unfortunately.

Any ideas how I can sort this?

Comment

no new ideas?

Comment

You installed "foomatic-db" and "foomatic-db-engine"?

Hmmm, I don't remember seeing this one before -- "foomatic-gui" -- I wonder what that one does? Guess I'll have to try it!

Comment

Sad news -- I exercised the printer installer to install an Epson Photo 1400, and there isn't one ...

Screenshot of the relevant list:
                  Attached Files

Comment

Yeah, I tried it and got that :P which is why I was asking if there was a way to install it from the driver source code supplied through the Epson website :P

Comment

OK, my last 2 ideas (for today, anyway ):

1. Install it as a Photo 1200 and see what you get.

I got idea #1 while looking up the Turboprint drivers here and seeing that the Photo 1400 is listed in the same line as the Photo 1200.

2. And of course, depending on how important this printing capability is, for about USD $30 you can buy the turboprint driver for it. I have one experience only with turboprint drivers, but it was fully successful.

Comment

Working...
                      X