This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safer graphic mode

I wonder what is 'safe graphic mode' the desktop install CD refers to, my PCI ATI display and Philips 15" LCD may be too outdated can only works 1024x768@75Hz, there is no way I can install with that CD, there is nothing except the LCD warning of out of sync I can see.
    Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :P

Re: Safer graphic mode

Are you here telling that you ave tried to boot the live CD and failed, or that the install fails?

I can see no reason that a 1024x768 LCD should fail?

The safe graphics mode, btw, starts (on my floor PC) 1280x1024@61hZ, and VESA for graphical standard.

The ATI should do fine on Vesa, and the LCD? I don't really know how picky LCD's are to the refresh. The resolutions should be no problem you will just have to scroll to the parts of the desktop outside 1024x768.

If you can boot using Safe graphics mode, install from there.

Once you have done your install and boot into real Kubuntu, you can change the monitor to Generic LCD, 1024x768. and see if your ATI card is listed. If not, you can stay with Vesa.

If you cannot boot the CD, the first to do is (1) check the CD and do the (2) memory test. (Both are options on the boot menu of the Live/install CD.) First check CD, only if it is ok, memory - the memtest takes a lot of time.

Comment

Yes I can't boot the desktop CD, I must use the alt CD to install, what I am saying is, even in safe graphic mode I can't get the screen so can't install, I can see the boot up logo and the bar, but then nothing after that, is it not 640x480 safe graphic mode refers to ??

Comment

Originally posted by lotech
        Yes I can't boot the desktop CD, I must use the alt CD to install, what I am saying is, even in safe graphic mode I can't get the screen so can't install, I can see the boot up logo and the bar, but then nothing after that, is it not 640x480 safe graphic mode refers to ??
        No, it looks like "simple" or something to that effect.

Did you check the CD?

Comment

Yes, my download has 1 file error >

Comment

Some recommend burning the image at a slower speed.
            For external use only.

Comment

When I was burning my original LiveCD .iso files from Windoze, I had problems (ImgBurn) in that even with a set burn speed of 4x, I'd get errors in the verification stage. It would take me a couple of attempts to get an error-free burn. But since getting Feisty installed, I've been using K3b and not adjusting the burn speed, and I've had zero bad burns. 8)
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes slower burn can reduce possibility of error, but I find download ubuntu has more chance to have error than other distro, I use standard and BT both the same.

Comment

Working...
                X