This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

usb sees printer and memory stick but cann't send stuff to them SOLVED

I recently reinstalled kubuntu and updated to the latest updates.

The problem I have is that my laptop (toshiba satellite A40-151) sees and reads usb mounted things but when I go to print on send files to the memory stick nothing happens.
    Any suggestions welcome

Re: usb sees printer and memory stick but cann't send stuff to them

One thing to try, if you can, is go into your BIOS and set the USB mode setting to "legacy". It is a slower transfer rate, but seems more compatible with many devices.

Comment

Thanks for the reply but how do I get into BIOS I cann't remember ever doing it on my laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by ashleycrue
        Thanks for the reply but how do I get into BIOS

I don't know -- I would think Toshiba's web site would have technical information about that model, or else maybe Mr. Google could be of assistance.

Comment

Common keys include the F- keys, delete, and escape.
          I can't find the A40-151 on Toshiba's site, unfortunately.

When the screen first turns on, it should give you some indication of the key to press. Look for words like BIOS, CMOS, setup, etc. You might be able to press pause to pause the boot sequence. (Press enter to resume.)
          For external use only.

Comment

A Google search finds that pressing the esc key when you see the first screen during boot should get you in to the BIOS setup.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks, I found I was pressing the escape key to late.
              Checked the USB bit and its already on legacy mode and active.
              tried reinstalling the printer and still nothing. When I do the install thing it shows up but nothing happens when I click on test.

Comment

For the printer, you may need to install the packages "footmatic-db" and "foomatic-db-gutenprint" to make a driver available for it.

Comment

Re-read the original post/question. Let me see if I have this right: you are trying to print and have the output go to your memory stick? As long as you have your actual printer setup and useable (you can "print" a document), then you should only have to select 'print to file' when the printer dialog window opens after selecting print. That will then prompt you for a file name and a location. That's when you would point to the memory stick.

Comment

I am thinking that you have a all-in-one (like my Epson cx6600) and it has a memory card port. Can you check to see if you are added to the plugdev group?

Code:
                    groups
                    Mike
                    http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Re: usb sees printer and memory stick but cann't send stuff to them SOLVED

Originally posted by Snowhog
                      Re-read the original post/question. Let me see if I have this right: you are trying to print and have the output go to your memory stick? As long as you have your actual printer setup and useable (you can "print" a document), then you should only have to select 'print to file' when the printer dialog window opens after selecting print. That will then prompt you for a file name and a location. That's when you would point to the memory stick.
                      It seemed that I had no signal going to either for a result.
                      However, dibl suggested a couple of things to check if installed and footmatic-db-gutenprint wasn't installed so that got done.
                      I haven't checked the printer but I was able to send a file to the memory stick earlier. So getting there so far so good.
                      Thanks
                      Ashley

PS. the printer used to work ok on an earlier version of Kubuntu its this time round I'm having problems. The printer is a Epson stylus photo r200

Comment

I've solved the problem just needed the bits suggested.

How do I put solved at the top?

Comment

Go to the first post in this thread. Click the modify button and edit the Subject line.

Comment

Thanks and done.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X