This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motherboard CPU and Memory

I'm looking to buy a new system for my Kubuntu 7.10. I recently tried a very fast system, but Kubuntu failed most of the time booting. I would like to get an idea of the fastest system I could get for Kubuntu. Does Kubuntu have FSB limitations? I know Kubuntu will work with a dual core processor and DDR2 memory.

res

Re: Motherboard CPU and Memory

You could do like I did and go for an all-Intel platform. The motherboard is a D975XBX, and the CPU is a Core 2 Extreme. I built this one in 2006 -- you could get a Core 2 QX6800 now. I overclocked mine to 3.3GHz, and it's been running completely stable for a year. I installed 4GB of Mushkin redline, although I probably could have done just as well with only 2 GB as I don't use any applications that require more than that. Put a good Nvidia card in it, like 8600GTS or 8800GTX, and a fast SATA drive (or 4) in it, such as the WD7500AAKS and you'll be pretty much at the best performance available, with a minimum of hardware challenges to deal with.

That's my two cents' worth on it. 8)

Comment

Sounds good, and I also like the all Intel platform.
      The guys here:

http://forums.hardwareguys.com/ikonboard.cgi

have ideas, and you can post yours under Projects and get their critique, and lots of these folks are now K/Ubuntu/Linux users, so that’s a plus.

You can also read the existing posts on all the configurations people have used. If you click on a subject, eg, Magnetic Storage, it starts out with the host’s recommendations (he’s the author of several books on Building the Perfect PC etc.), followed by updates and reader questions and tips. In any case, you may post any question you have there. dibl’s solutions look good, and you’ll see those at hardwareguys, too, used by many.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Yeah, I have a book by them... While not useful in building a PC, it was certainly interesting.

I built this machine about a year back. If you want to build, you'll need but two things: Newegg and a PC Magazine article I referred to... Let's see if I can find it on their site.
        Yeah, it's here... It was much better in print. If I come across the issue, I'll see if I can't scan it and post it here. (It's buried on my desk somewhere.)
        For external use only.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've begun research on the information you've posted.

res

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
            Yeah, it's here... It was much better in print.
            Click on the Print icon at the bottom of the page and you can read it complete in a new window.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I mean in hard copy, in the magazine. Had some nice graphics.
              For external use only.

Comment

Working...
              X