X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keyboard fails to repond....

Hello all.

I'm running Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon.

The keyboard has worked fine for days, but last night it stopped working out of the blue. The mouse still reponded, so I was able to logout. Now if I login using failsafe or to console, the keyboard functions correctly. I also installed XFCE, and it works there too (how I am able to post this topic).

I tried reconfiguring Xorg, but no luck. I think this is a KDE issue.

If I login with KDE, the keyboard functions up until the point where KDE is fully up and running. Then it locks.

I recall some KDE packages being upgraded last night, but I cannot remember which ones.

Anyone else experienced this before? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Keyboard fails to repond....

I've had it that I can type my pass word but after that the keyboard don't work.
    I found that the keyboard just needed enabling by going to the control panel.

Comment

By chance is it a ps2 keyboard?? If it is, then you should read this post from the Ubuntu Forum concerning Normal PS/2 keyboard doesn't work [solved]
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Solved! Re: Keyboard fails to repond....

Everything was working fine in Feisty. Then about a week ago I decided to go ahead and upgrade to Gutsy. After much hair-pulling and gnashing of teeth, one set of instructions on these forums got me through the install. I had to do it manually, because Adept keep crashing.

Anyway, once that fiasco was over, everything seemed fine...until today. All of a sudden it completely refuses to respond to my keyboard. There's nothing wrong with the keyboard. It works until the graphical workspace loads. I'm using it in Windows XP right now to write this (I have a dual-boot setup because there are still things that just aren't possible in Linux of any flavor). I've tried everything. I've searched both the kubuntu and the ubuntu forums, but nothing helps. I've even replaced my PS2 keyboard and trackball with USB ones, and tried every combination. No joy.

So, until this issue is fixed, I can't use Linux at all. They've obviously seriously broken something.
        Asus EeePC 1000HE WinXP+Kubuntu 9.10-&gt;looking very hard at 9.04<br />Self-built AMD Sempron 2.4GHz Kubuntu 9.10<br />Self-built Via Epia Nehemiah M10000 WinXP+Kubuntu 9.10-&gt;reverted to 9.04<br />Using Kubuntu since 7.04, Ubuntu since 6.09

Comment

The keyboard _is_ being recognized on some level, but there's an endless loop or something. If I hold down the Caps Lock key, it will toggle the light, but not instantly. A simple tap won't do it - it has to be held down for about a second before it responds. I still can't get any actual characters to show up, though.

I wonder if it has something to do with one of the updates that installed the day before. This was several days after the version upgrade, and consisted of the usual package updates. Unfortunately, I don't remember what packages were upgraded or know how to find out what they were. Is there a log I can access?
          Asus EeePC 1000HE WinXP+Kubuntu 9.10-&gt;looking very hard at 9.04<br />Self-built AMD Sempron 2.4GHz Kubuntu 9.10<br />Self-built Via Epia Nehemiah M10000 WinXP+Kubuntu 9.10-&gt;reverted to 9.04<br />Using Kubuntu since 7.04, Ubuntu since 6.09

Comment

If I understand the prior posts correctly, the keyboard works correctly as long as the Linux system is in character mode, but goes fubar at the point of starting the X server.

If so, that indicates that the problem is entirely in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Running the
            Code:
            sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
            script might correct the problem. I would suggest editing the file by hand, but with no keyboard .... :P

HTH

Comment

In case you aren't aware, you'll be able to do that by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1, logging in there, and then executing that command. The keyboard should work normally in a terminal. (The key combination should also work fine, because it's handled by a different part of the OS.)
              For external use only.

Comment

dibl: I tried to run the command you gave, but got stuck at the point where it tells you to enter a specific line if you have a dual-head setup (which I don't). It wouldn't accept "ok".

SheeEttin: You didn't give us the command to get back out of the terminal.

Everybody: I found the problem - and the solution!!!!! When I noticed that the Caps Lock key would toggle the light, but it took more than a half second, it kept nagging at me. Just now I did an experiment, and this message up to "Everybody" was typed (very slowly) one letter at a time. You even have to hold down modifier keys well before you type the modified key. For example, to get a capital letter at the beginning of a sentence you first have to hold down the Shift key, then a second later hold down the letter key until the capital letter shows up on screen. This all got me to thinking: it's much too consistent to be accidental. What would make it act like that?

Answer: Accessibility options! Go to Kmenu->System Settings->Accessibility->Keyboard Filters tab, uncheck the "use slow keys" box, and voila, we're back!

I don't know how that setting got changed - I sure didn't do it - but it is a simple fix once you know what it is. What a relief!

Comment

Excellent! Glad you figured it out. If you will return to your initial post in this thread and click on the modify button, you can add SOLVED to the beginning of the subject.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by SilverWolf
                    Ctrl-Alt-F7.
                    For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
                      Ctrl-Alt-F7.
                      Depending on how far "out" you want to get.

Code:
                      sudo shutdown now
                      will do the trick too.

Comment

Answer: Accessibility options! Go to Kmenu->System Settings->Accessibility->Keyboard Filters tab, uncheck the "use slow keys" box, and voila, we're back!

I don't know how that setting got changed - I sure didn't do it - but it is a simple fix once you know what it is. What a relief!
                        That turned out to be my problem. What changed that setting? A mystery. Thanks a lot!!

Comment

Working...
                        X