This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need drivers for Dell 720 printer

I have recently installed Gutsy. In doing so, I erased the copy I had of the driver package for a Dell 720, aka Lexmark Z600 something. Unfortunately -- and maybe on purpose -- Lexmark seems to have removed all Linux drivers from their site. In "exchange", they provide tools Linux developers can use to develop drivers. Is this out-sourcing or just plain refusal to accept the existence of Linux. I have my opinion...

Sorry, errror there. Lexmark driver links all give an error 404. It's HP, normally considered fairly linux-friendly, who have replaced all Linux pointers with links to a page explaining they have developer software available. Not much help in either case.

Anyway, I am not a LInux developer. Does anyone have or know where I can obtain this driver package?

Thanks in advance.

I would go out and buy another printer, except I just ordered two incredibly expensive ink cartridges for this one...
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Re: Need drivers for Dell 720 printer

Try installing the package "foomatic-db-gutenprint". That should be the one that contains all the printer drivers.
    For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
      Try installing the package "foomatic-db-gutenprint". That should be the one that contains all the printer drivers.
      That is already installed, apparently by default, in Gutsy. So what do I do with it? I've tried installing the printer after installing the CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz file (so the Lexmark Z600 is in the list), but am unable to print a test page.

On another tack, I've tried the method using

z600cups_1.0-1_i386.deb and z600llpddk_2.0-1_i386.deb

which is given at

http://www.autostatic.com/linux/lexmarkz605-suse93.html

and, similarly, at

http://openprinting.org/show_printer...m=Lexmark-Z615

I hit a snag here because in one case, the z600llpddk_2.0-2_i386.deb depends on libstdc++5, whereas Gutsy has libstdc++6 and it doesn't accept that. With z600llpddk_2.0-1_i386.deb, thje installation seems to work, but later config of the printer bombs for the same reason. Why can't these things work with a later version of the library?

In my opinion, printer installation and use is Linux's major and outstanding weak point, altho I know people are working on this. (It's also a major ripoff on the part of the manufacturers...)
      'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

My suggestion is look at the printer driver list in System Settings and work with those. Lexmarks are not Linux friendly. HP and Epson are Linux friendly.

Comment

I did this. The result is a new topic at

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...089045.new#new

Thanks for your help. It's just that I need more.

Comment

Working...
          X