This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

digikam can't connect to camera with which it used to have no problems

hello. i used to be able to download pictures direct from my olympus fe-210 into digikam. now i can't. i can't connect to the camera. i can however still download from other computers running the same software. kubuntu 7.10, current digikam version.

when i try to connect i get
    "Failed to connect to the camera. Please make sure it is connected properly and turned on. Would you like to try again?"

it is connected correctly via usb

lsusb output includes:

Bus 001 Device 006: ID 07b4:0109 Olympus Optical Co., Ltd

is there maybe some sort of portlock? maybe i had to disconnect the camera at some point improperly - or there was a crash or something - and i am being blocked from reconnecting one way or another

maybe digikam or kde has a residual file blocking me from reconnecting the same camera because digikam / kde think it still is connected from when i crashed before?

brainstorms welcome

Re: digikam can't connect to camera with which it used to have no problems

Could be. One person recently suggested something wrong with the filesystem. You could try booting into Windows and checking the filesystem.
    However, that doesn't explain why it works for other installations of Kubuntu.

Have you tried mounting the camera manually?
    For external use only.

Comment

I have exactly the same problem, but this is not kubuntu problem. This is KDE problem. With KDE 3.5.6 on Mandriva 2007.1 I did not have any problem connecting my Lumix camera. but on Mandriva 2008 with KDE 3.5.7 and Kubuntu with KDE 3.5.8 I am getting the same error messages as you do. Device is just not created, so you cannot mount it manually or otherwise.
      The camera cannot connect neither as a mass storage (as it perfectly used to) nor through digikam. And there is no solution as far as I know...

Comment

Then it's not a KDE problem, it's an OS problem... KDE does not do anything with devices (aside from the mount helper).
        For external use only.

Comment

I've had the same problem with my Canon 350D. It worked with Mepis 6.0 but not with Gutsy. I did notice that if I hook up the camera and turn it on, Digikam will recognize it after about 2-3 minutes! On the Canon (and maybe all digital cameras), the light on the back of the camera will brink relatively slowly for about a few minutes and then blink very quickly (sorry for the very nontechnical language). After it's done this for at least one cycle, I try to select the camera and then it works. Yes, this is very frustrating but at least I can get the camera recognized. Sorry that I can't offer a solution but you might want to give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
            Then it's not a KDE problem, it's an OS problem... KDE does not do anything with devices (aside from the mount helper).
            Well, that is why I mentioned that it works neither in mandriva 2008, nor in kubuntu 7.10. However as far as I read in other posts it does work on ubuntu 7.10, i.e. on gnome.

Comment

There are other differences between Ubuntu and Kubuntu aside from the desktop environment.
              In fact, you could install Ubuntu, make sure the camera works, and install KDE (and maybe uninstall GNOME) and it'd continue to work.

Kubureaucrat, any progress?
              For external use only.

Comment

It might be kernel issue then. Mandriva and ubuntu use the same kernel at the moment as far as I can see. I tried this and that for a while with mandriva and it does not work whatever I do.
                You can read here http://expert.mandriva.com/question/101118 about my Lumix DMC-TZ3 (never mind it starts in french, it goes to english very soon).
                But alas, no resolution found...

Comment

Working...
                X