This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound Isues on a Dell Latitude D520

Well, here are the details of my problem. I have a Sigma Tel Audio card in this laptop, and using Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon I had absolutely no problems with sound, is there something between the two Desktop Environments that cause such sound problems to happen? Does anyone know a fix or have the same problem?

Re: Sound Isues on a Dell Latitude D520

Check out the Comprehensive Sound Problem Solutions Guide and see if it helps any.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

the ALSA website isn't loading so i cant make sure weather or not this is going to help me.

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Aud
      io Controller (rev 01)
      Subsystem: Dell Unknown device 01d4
      Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 20
      Memory at efebc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
      Capabilities: <access denied>

thats my sound card information from step 2.

Comment

Eliminate a 'group' issue. Check under System Settings | User Management and check your user (have to access via the Administrator button) and see if you have the group audio in the secondary groups list.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I didn't know about that. Thanks Snowhog, I'll put it in my toolbox.
          Asus G1S-X3:
          Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Audio IS in the secondary groups, as I would expect it is supposed to be. But still no sound. and the ALSA webpage is still not working. I like Kubuntu more than the regular Ubuntu, but this sound issue is annoying.

Comment

Stick with it. That is worked in Ubuntu on your machine means it will work in Kubuntu. Just have to find the missing setting/configuration.

Comment

Well I got it working. I purged all the sound drivers from it, and then just reinstalled what I got rid out of fresh. Figured it out by skipping down about halfway in that tutorial in the first reply. Thanks guys for the help. I'm reletively new to linux ingeneral and chose the Ubuntu/Kubuntu Installations, because they remove a lot of the guess work with the convienient package managers that are as easy as making a search and clicking a button, rather than hunting down package files configuring and compiling them. (though I actually managed to be quite good at that when I needed to Instal LUA and DUMB so I could compile KQ ^_^ ) well thanks again your all a big help.

Comment

Good to here you solved the problem.

Comment

Working...
                  X