This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problem with monitor

i have recently installed Kubuntu 7.10 and went to the restricted video drivers as suggested by Kubuntu documentation and install the driver. after reboot my monitor switches off and get a message about wrong frequency and i see written 30 Hz...

i have the LG flatron wide 20"

i would welcome all the help i can get! i am a complete noob to linux and this is giving me a heartattack

thanx in advance

Re: problem with monitor

First you need to know what graphics board or chip you have.

When we know that, there's plenty advice to read (search) here, or ask.

What you will be doing is starting in command line mode (esc just at the beginning when you turn on the PC, and reconfigure the X server. However, you need to know the graphics board in order that you get it right. Some boards/chips are tricky and needs special attention, so I'll not get into the what to do now.

Comment

i have the MSI X800 256MB

Comment

Originally posted by LuxJaja
        i have the MSI X800 256MB
        OK, I don't know this one. What you can try is:

Start in graphical mode (ESC at the start of Grub), log in with your username and password, and type:

Code:
        sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
        You will be asked for your password, and a non/half-graphical screen will help configuring your X server. You can try automatic, but it's safer to do it yourself. Tab to choose the right option. If you don't succeed the first time, try again. You can choose VESA graphical standard, and experiment from there.

... and hope someone know your card better than I do.

Comment

Probably a Radeon-based card, based on the X800...
          If you don't have the fglrx driver installed, you'll want to install it. (I wrote a little helper which you can get here.)
          Then, when doing the dpkg-reconfigure, select the "fglrx" driver and the appropriate resolutions for your monitor.
          For external use only.

Comment

Working...
          X