Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overclocking on the fly: is it possible?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overclocking on the fly: is it possible?

Hello

I wonder if it is possible to overclock a PC in Linux. I had a SoftFSB and CPUFsb in Windows many years ago and would like to find something similar in Linux. Can anybody help me? Thank you very much

Re: Overclocking on the fly: is it possible?

Hmm - for GPU (repositories):

nvclock - Allows you to overclock your nVidia card under GNU/Linux
    nvclock-qt - Allows you to overclock your nVidia card under GNU/Linux

rovclock - utility to control frequency rates of your Radeon card
    Frontend: ATI Overclock
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...?content=47796

For CPU

MVpll
    http://home.iprimus.com.au/mccvals/mvpll/
    MVpll is an open source program written in C to adjust the settings of a motherboards clock generator chip under Linux. It allows manipulation of the the cpu speed on the fly without the need of opening up your computer case, adjusting jumpers or changing bios settings.
    Note
    Site Last updated: 25th September, 2002

Links:
    Linux Overclocking Software
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=598&num=1

ATIpower: ATI Linux GPU Overclocking
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=675&num=1

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

I was going to mention the "Coolbits" option for the Nvidia proprietary driver, which is in that Phoronix article linked by Rog. I have the option enabled for my 7900 GS, although I rarely actually use it, and usually just for experimental purposes.

I set the overclocking on my motherboard with a Win XP installation, when I built the computer last year, using the Intel overclocking utility. Subsequently I nuked the Win XP installation, so it's kind of "permanent", if such a thing can ever be said about electronics. I have an old 8GB hard drive that I could connect temporarily if I wanted to change it for some reason.

Now we know what those small old hard drives are good for, once they become obsolete for live systems.

Comment

Well, where can I find that Intel overclocking utility? Can it be used also with onl first generation P4?

Comment

It is the "Intel Desktop Control Center" here

But it only works with Intel motherboards, AFAIK.

Comment

Hello, I tried mvpll, but could not compile, so I tried newer program called lfsb, but it has some problem with ic2 extension. How can I load this extension?

Wizzard

Comment

Mehhh -- Mr. Google's first 30 hits turned up nothing on this

Is there an Windows-based overclocking capability/utility for your motherboard? I fear that's your only realistic avenue -- like me, you'll have to overclock it in Windows first, then set up Linux and kind of forget about changing it afterwards.

Comment

Has anybody tried running the Windows overclocking utilities with Wine?
                Asus G1S-X3:
                Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Eh, I wouldn't try it... Wine isn't meant for that kind of thing. Besides, it'd probably hit some problems with talking to the hardware.
                  But, if you're willing to take the chance of bricking your hardware, I say go ahead.
                  For external use only.

Comment

I'm with SheeEttin on this one. Wine, VMware, Virtual Box -- none of them sit directly on the hardware layer of your system. They do their "ins and outs" through the Linux HAL, to the extent permitted by Linux. If you happened to get part of a command set through to the hardware registers, but not all of it, you could end up with a very expensive door stop.

Comment

none of them sit directly on the hardware layer of your system. They do their "ins and outs" through the Linux HAL, to the extent permitted by Linux.
                      Thanks for pointing that out, that both answered my question and reminded me of one I wanted to ask. Do you have to run antivirus, antispyware/adware, firewall programs with VMWare? And does running a virtual OS alongside Kubuntu hog all your system resources?
                      Asus G1S-X3:
                      Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Well, it's more or less the same as running another whole computer on your network, so yes, you probably should run some AV/firewall software on it. (I'll probably get around to it myself one of these days. )
                        On resources, Windows XP uses up a lot of RAM, though it's not too bad on my processor (Pentium D 2.66 GHz, dual-core).
                        Oddly, starting "vmware" from a terminal, waiting until the OS is up, and hitting Ctrl+Z (in the terminal) reduces load quite a bit. (I haven't really tested this, though.) Ctrl+Z suspends a process, use "fg" to start it up again. (The OS emulation is done in a separate process. vmware just does the GUI.)
                        For external use only.

Comment

Well, this is my first Linux-only computer, so I don't want to install Windows directly, just in VirtualBox. Now I think that my question changed to "how to load the I2C extension".

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e

Do you have to run antivirus, antispyware/adware, firewall programs with VMWare? And does running a virtual OS alongside Kubuntu hog all your system resources?
                            I personally do not use my Win XP virtual machine for web browsing or e-mail -- I only need it for a unique Windows app that I use. So I don't consider that "Windows Machine" to be much at risk for viruses or malware, although I believe that it is just as susceptible as a native Win XP installation, if a virus were introduced somehow. Moreover, whatever a virus would do to it would only be on the virtual machine -- it's not going to affect the Linux system.

As far as system resources -- I have 4GB of memory installed so my idea of "hogging" may be different than someone with 1GB of memory. "top" shows the VMWare process using 3% - 7% of resources when it is actively doing something, which is higher than most anything else that is typically running. Even xorg and compiz don't usually take more than 3%.

Hope that is informative!

Comment

Well, I made it with i2c-dev extension, now I just need to find out the type of clock generator in my mobo (does anybody know when I can find it out? I have Intel 845HV chipset board).

Comment

Working...
                              X