This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB totally fscked

Apologies if I'm just rehashing here, but after a Feisty > Gutsy upgrade I'm having basic USB problems which I don't think are just automounting problems.

The principal symptom is that no usb drive will automount (either a flash drive or a camera), though I can't seem to get usb printing to work either. Confusingly, usb scanning works fine.

When I plug a flash drive into a usb port there is no change /dev (no new sdb1, which there used to be), and no change whatsoever in dmesg output.

From trawling these and other fora I can confirm that it isn't a result of:

missing ivman package - it was missing but installing and rebooting had produced no change.
    missing dbus-x11 package - ditto as ivman
    incorrect permissions on /usr/bin/pmount - these appeared to be a problem at first in that pmount complained it hadn't be installed suid root, but changing that had no effect.

I'm really at a loss, and really dependent on being able to get information on and off my usb flash drive, so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Re: USB totally fscked

Code:
    lsusb
    and

Code:
    hwinfo
    ( a package that used to be included and now must be installed) will show you whether there's anything connected to the USB bus.

For external disk drives, it appears to help a lot of cases to add the user to the fuse group, or vice versa. KMenu>System Settings>User go to Admin Mode, highlight your user, click Modify and then scroll down the groups to "fuse" and click the "add" arrow.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

lsusb gives:

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 03f0:171d Hewlett-Packard
      Bus 001 Device 002: ID 413c:3010 Dell Computer Corp. Optical Wheel Mouse
      Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
      Bus 001 Device 004: ID 413c:2005 Dell Computer Corp.
      Bus 002 Device 004: ID 0c45:62c0 Microdia
      Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

The untitlled Dell device is a keyboard, the Microdia device is an inbuilt webcam and I'm not sure what the HP device is, but is probably the laptop's keyboard maybe?

That's the output with the thumb drive plugged in, by the way.

I'm not sure how to parse the hwinfo output, and I'm kind of rushed right now, but will look through it more detail later.

Thanks for the pointers. Any other info you could give would be great.

Comment

Okay, usb-related material has shown up in dmesg. I'm afraid I don't know whether it has anything to do with my problem, but thought I'd throw the information out there just in case. I also don't know if it's been there all along, sorry.

[ 169.987474] irq 7: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option)
        [ 169.987482]
        [ 169.987483] Call Trace:
        [ 169.987488] <IRQ> [<ffffffff8026aaae>] __report_bad_irq+0x1e/0x80
        [ 169.987520] [<ffffffff8026ad93>] note_interrupt+0x283/0x2c0
        [ 169.987530] [<ffffffff8026bb8c>] handle_level_irq+0x10c/0x140
        [ 169.987535] [<ffffffff8020b01c>] call_softirq+0x1c/0x30
        [ 169.987543] [<ffffffff8020c6ab>] do_IRQ+0x7b/0x100
        [ 169.987549] [<ffffffff8020a3a1>] ret_from_intr+0x0/0xa
        [ 169.987552] <EOI>
        [ 169.987564] handlers:
        [ 169.987567] [<ffffffff880b7d30>] (usb_hcd_irq+0x0/0x60 [usbcore])
        [ 169.987590] Disabling IRQ #7

I'll try booting with the irqpoll option to see what it gets me.

Comment

SOLVED!

I'm not sure what the underlying problem was, but grub was loading the 2.6.20-14-generic kernel by default. I switched to using the 2.6.20-16-generic and the thumb drive works perfectly.

Now I'll just have to see if this also fixes the problem I had with the nvidia proprietary driver hard crashing the system....

Comment

Ehh -- sounds like progress. I kinda doubt your Nvidia driver is really crashing the "system" --- probably just the X server. Be that as it may, if you're like me it gets tough when there's no GUI. :P

Comment

You're right of course, it probably is just the X-server, but given that it's a hard crash that kills the keyboard and mouse and requires a "push the power button for 5 seconds" restart to fix, the effect is the same.

Was messing around with the nvidia driver again yesterday and it's still screwing things up.

Ah well.

Comment

Originally posted by marek_online

requires a "push the power button for 5 seconds" restart to fix, the effect is the same.
                No no no -- there's a better way, that's far easier on your filesystem!

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3088251.0

On the Nvidia driver, I'd be downloading and installing the newest Envy script installer, and using that to re-install the driver:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3086232.0

Comment

Brilliant, thanks for the tip.

I had a nasty experience with a hard drive failure last year and fear the forced reboots. That will help avoid such nasty situations in future.

On the video driver front, it's Envy I installed the nvidia driver initially. I haven't re-installed it for the 2.6.20-16 kernel I'm using because I haven't got hold of the linux-headers required yet (they're not in the gutsy repos, so I'll have to go back to the feisty ones).

Switching back to the 2.6.22-14 kernel briefly broke usb again, along with my wireless network card (which is dependent on ndiswrapper), and still caused X to hang after a reinstall of the nvidia driver. I don't particularly need any fancy graphics, so I'll keep usb functionality over GL for the minute.

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

The newest Envy installer pulls in everything it needs automatically -- very smooth, although of course the process takes a bit longer.

Comment

And the net result is....more X crashes.

But your Alt-Sys-rq magic works a treat.

I'll leave the GL graphics until I'm dependent on it for reason methinks.

Comment

Which model Nvidia chip?

Comment

Nvidia GeForce Go 7400 256MB

It's correctly recognised as a GeForce 7 series.

It's in a HP Pavillion DV6000 laptop.

Comment

So the nvidia thing is solved, just to leave complete information.

I found out here:
                            http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58498

that a system with AMD64 processors needs to include

iommu=off

in its boot options.

An Envy-installed driver seems to be working just peachy now.

Comment

Excellent -- thanks for sharing that boot option.

Comment

Working...
                              X