This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

55 Hz and installation of Beryl

Long time no see actually. 8) My Ubuntu worked perfectly untill a few days ago. Since then I've been searching over the web for answers, but I haven't found them.

I've got 2 problems. The first problem is about my videocard, the second problem is about Beryl.

Well, first things first. This problem is the most important to me.

I have a nVidia GeForce 7300 GS videocard. It works fine (resolution is supported) but I can't choose the right Hz. It should be 75 Hz, but the highest I can choose is 55 Hz. This is, of course, not very good for my eyes.
    First, when I hadn't installed the driver yet, I could choose up to 60 Hz (which comes pretty close). Since installing the closed-source driver (ehm, something with nvidia-glx, I can't remember... ) via the Restricted Driver-module, I can max. choose for 55 Hz.

Hmm, I don't really care if I'm using a restricted or opensource-driver, as long as it works. I've heard something about an OpenSource-driver, something with the name Omega... Would this driver work better?

To come to the point: I want to choose for 75 Hz, and I don't really care how to get at that point.

The second problem is Beryl. Since I can't find Compiz-fusion (which should be integrated) I want to install Beryl again. But here's the problem: I don't know how. The previous time I located an amazing howto, so it was very, very easy to install Beryl for me. Piece of a cake, you can say. But I can't locate that amazing guide anymore, and I have my doubts that a howto for Ubuntu D.D would work on Ubuntu G.G.

Hope that someone can help me... I would appreciate that of course.
    I use Firefox because it's better and safer, I use Linux because it's the best of the best. Together they are like magic. USE THE FORCE, CHOOSE FREE AS IN FREEDOM!

Re: 55 Hz and installation of Beryl

It seems you came to the right place! Here's how to get and install Envy:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3086232.0

Once you have run Envy, use it to install the latest Nvidia driver (post if you have any problem doing that, but I doubt you will). When you have restarted your X server and observed the green and black Nvida spash screen, so you know you have the driver and it is working, here's what you need to do to get set up for glx graphics and to adjust your refresh rate:

1. Open a Konsole window and enter
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --composite
    Then let it restart the X server. You will probably find that the refresh rate is now no problem.

2. Open the Konsole again, and enter
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-settings
    Click the "X Server Configuration" tab, and on that panel click "detect displays" first, then adjust the resolution if you wish, then you might just want to leave the refresh set to "Auto" if you're happy with it, or you can force it to the highest available rate (but bear in mind you won't be able to increase the resolution if you do this). Finally, click the "Save To X Config File" button in the lower right, put an "X" in "merge", click "save" and you're done.

3. Enjoy!

As far as Beryl, since you appear to be running Gutsy, basically you can forget about it. Beryl has been abandoned by its developers, who are now working on Compiz. Compiz is in the Gutsy repos, and there are many threads on that topic. Here are two that cover most of what is known (don't forget that it is still a rather immature package at this point):

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3087542.0

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3087914.0

Comment

dibl, thank you so much! You really helped me with this, and Envy works truelly amazing!

Thanks a lot for your reply, I seriously am very gratefull.

Too bad Beryl isn't supported, it was pretty nice. Very cool 3D-stuff and all. Compiz isn't so great as Beryl was, the graphics and trics simply aren't as good as Beryl.

Perhaps I can find Compiz-Fusion, it should be better then "Compiz". But for some reason, I'm not able to find it. Oh well, dear Google, stand by me...

And again, thanks a lot! The Hz is allright now (75 as it should be).

Now I just need to find a solution to one more problem: opening/mounting a FAT32-harddrive. For some reason Gutsy Gibbon doesn't mount it automatically anymore, so I can't open it. I can't even mount it. I didn't had this problem in Dapper Drake at all. :s
      I use Firefox because it's better and safer, I use Linux because it's the best of the best. Together they are like magic. USE THE FORCE, CHOOSE FREE AS IN FREEDOM!

Comment

You really helped me too My dang nVidia was not working so well.

Comment

Compiz-fusion should be in your repos. Search adept /synaptic and you will see it.
          You should install these packages:
          compiz-core
          compiz-fusion-plugins-main
          compiz-kde
          compiz-plugins
          compizconfig-settings-manager
          emerald

You can configure with:k-menu->settings->advanced desktop settings.

You can start it with alt+F2 and
          Code:
          compiz --replace ccp
          to return to your normal session do alt+F2 and
          Code:
          kwin --replace
          enjoy

As for this:
          Now I just need to find a solution to one more problem: opening/mounting a FAT32-harddrive. For some reason Gutsy Gibbon doesn't mount it automatically anymore, so I can't open it. I can't even mount it. I didn't had this problem in Dapper Drake at all. :s
          Go to: k-menu->system settings->advanced-Disks & filesystems->administormode and right click on the partition you wish to edit. Choose edit, give it a mount point, like /media/mydata, and tell it to mount and activate at boot.

Next go to /etc/fstab->actions->edit as root and see if your vfat (for fat32) line looks anything like this:
          /Data vfat defaults,utf8,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46,auto,rw,nouse r 0 0
          after the uuid.
          If not change accordingly to have full read write execute.

I hope that helps.
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
          X