Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will fglrx drivers work on a Radeon 7000?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will fglrx drivers work on a Radeon 7000?

The title pretty much says it all.

I've got a Radeon 7000 PCI Graphics Card 64mb ddr.

The standard drivers installed by Gutsy allow for decent 3D Accl.
    For stuff like TuxKart, But for somethig like Alien Arena it S$%#^.

Could anyone give me their opinion, or tell me if the fglrx drivers will work with this card

You don't have to be gentle, I can take the news...

Re: Will fglrx drivers work on a Radeon 7000?

The latest fglrx drivers only support 9500 series and up. 8.28.8 version of the driver I think might support the card, but im unsure if these will even build against the latest kernels without any patches.

Comment

Probably.

Try it, find out.
      I wrote a nice little script to help with the installation which you can get here.

It currently still gets the 8.40.4 driver if you choose to get the driver not in the repos, but you can change that by opening it up in your preferred text editor and replacing all instances of"8.40.4" with the preferred driver (most current is 8.42.3, but it's a little buggy yet).
      For external use only.

Comment

Nope tried it doesn't WORK

The fglrx drivers crash X, then I have to reconfigure, for the standard drivers. >

Some 3D apps work, others just PLAIN CRAP Out with the stock Ati Drivers.

But THANKS Anyway....

Comment

Have you tried the open sourced 'radeon' subdriver, it gives relatively good 3D performance on older radeon cards (see 'man radeon' for supported cards).

Basically you just have to set
          Driver "radeon"
          In your xorg.conf (under the graphics card section), and restart X

You can check whether direct rendering is enabled with:
          Code:
          glxinfo | grep direct
          NOTE: If I remember correctly, fglrx drivers conflict with the radeon driver, so you may need to uninstall fglrx driver completely to get direct rendering with the radeon driver, though I'm not absolutely sure that is still the case.

As for performance, I have a slightly newer 9000 card on one of my machines, and the 'radeon' driver has been able to handle every 3D application I've thrown at it (including the 3D heavy games)...worth a shot if you're not planning on upgrading your hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
            Have you tried the open sourced 'radeon' subdriver, it gives relatively good 3D performance on older radeon cards (see 'man radeon' for supported cards).

Driver "radeon"

Code:
            glxinfo | grep direct
            NOTE: If I remember correctly, fglrx drivers conflict with the radeon driver, so you may need to uninstall fglrx driver completely to get direct rendering with the radeon driver, though I'm not absolutely sure that is still the case.

As for performance, I have a slightly newer 9000 card on one of my machines, and the 'radeon' driver has been able to handle every 3D application I've thrown at it (including the 3D heavy games)...worth a shot if you're not planning on upgrading your hardware.
            I'll diffidently give this a go around.

Upgrading my Hardware isn't a option even though I'd like to $$$$$$ you know...

When I put this together I was running Windows Quake3 and it ran great.
            And when Kubuntu came out with Gutsy my PC worked with it at last.... YEAH!!!!

I put it together about 3months ago, not one of the best ones I've built but on limited $$$$$ I went with the best I could afford....
            The other one was an AMD Athlon 64 lasted about 2 years...
            I know it should've lasted longer then that but thats the BREAKS...

Anyway I'll post back and tell ya how she goes...

Comment

Originally posted by BlackKnight
              Originally posted by kubicle

Driver "radeon"

Code:
              glxinfo | grep direct

I'll diffidently give this a go around.

Upgrading my Hardware isn't a option even though I'd like to $$$$$$ you know...

When I put this together I was running Windows Quake3 and it ran great.
              And when Kubuntu came out with Gutsy my PC worked with it at last.... YEAH!!!!

I put it together about 3months ago, not one of the best ones I've built but on limited $$$$$ I went with the best I could afford....
              The other one was an AMD Athlon 64 lasted about 2 years...
              I know it should've lasted longer then that but thats the BREAKS...

Anyway I'll post back and tell ya how she goes...
              Well I tried it, but like everyother suggestion, It "CRAPPED OUT". Anywho Thanks for the imput.
              I guess the Cards just a little to OLD, I tried finding the OLD Drivers from the AMD/ATI Website but they no longer have them.... It was worth a shot anyhow... At least I've got Basic 3D acceleration even though it's not the Greatest.... It BEATS none at all...

Comment

AIGLX?

Chips Manufacturers Comparison

Manu
                model
                Xorg 7
                Manufacturer’s
                XGL
                AIGLX

Intel
                i810 to i965
                2D,3D
                See Xorg’s
                Useless
                Yes

NVIDIA
                Riva/TnT/Geforce1/2/MX
                2D
                2D,3D, closed
                Yes#
                No

NVIDIA
                GeForce3/4/FX/6/7
                2D
                2D,3D, closed
                Yes##
                No

ATI
                Rage128 to Radeon 9200
                2D,3D
                was there one?
                No
                No*

ATI
                Radeon 7000 to Radeon 9200
                2D,3D
                obsolete
                Useless
                Yes**

ATI
                Radeon 9500 to X1850
                Experimental
                2D,3D
                Yes
                Experimental**

Sis
                2D,3D
                outdated
                Useless
                Yes

Sis
                315/550/650/651/740/661/741/760/330
                2D
                none
                No
                No

(#)These cards require legacy NVIDIA driver (71.84). “MX” relates to both GF2MX and GF4MX, since both are Geforce2-level.

(##)3D applications are accelerated on a Geforce 6 (not tried on others), video is fast from the FX onward.

(*)Card models named Rage (128, Mobility, II, pro etc.) were either Mach64 2D chips with added functionalities (those don’t have a working DRI/DRM and are called with the “ati” driver) or “real” 3D chips (their DRI/DRM module is r128). 3D works with r128, but missing visuals make Compiz unable to load.
                (**)Early Radeon (7x00 to 9200) are fully supported by Xorg’s “radeon” driver.

(***)Card models from 9500 to X600 use the R3xx chip family. 3D support is being implemented, and AIGLX is working on R3XX cores (tested 9500, got reports on 9600). R4xx is under heavy development. If the free driver supports 3D, then AIGLX support is practically guaranteed.

“Useless” refers to the fact that there are no working proprietary 3D driver, and that the driver integrated with Xorg is good enough to run AIGLX—which works better than XGL anyway. So while XGL would work, it is of no use except if you use an older version of Xorg or Xfree86.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi Black Night
                  "I guess the Cards just a little to OLD, I tried finding the OLD Drivers from the AMD/ATI Website but they no longer have them."
                  Which ones are you looking for ? Let me know
                  Still got some, going back to 8.25.18
                  Regards oznoob
                  Intel DG41TY Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66 GHz 3.9 GiB of RAM

Comment

Originally posted by BlackKnight
                    Well I tried it, but like everyother suggestion, It "CRAPPED OUT". Anywho Thanks for the imput.
                    I guess the Cards just a little to OLD, I tried finding the OLD Drivers from the AMD/ATI Website but they no longer have them.... It was worth a shot anyhow... At least I've got Basic 3D acceleration even though it's not the Greatest.... It BEATS none at all...
                    Could you specify how it wouldn't work (X won't start, scrambled video, no direct rendering, direct rendering with poor performance etc.). We might be able to troubleshoot a bit further.

Comment

Yeah. Knowing why it doesn't work is extremely useful.

Start up a "bad" session, and switch to a terminal (e.g. Ctrl+Alt+F1), log in, and execute "startx". Post the error(s) it gives you.
                      For external use only.

Comment

Working...
                      X