X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel HDA soundcard and Amarok

Hi all.

I upgraded to Gusty and now I get strange problems with sound. Kmix and Amarok start, but when I press Play Amarok starts jump from one song to another. And veryyy slowlyyy error message pops up (well it actually "floats") telling that sound device is busy.

What's wrong with the sound in Gusty ?

Specs:

Kubuntu 7.10
    HP Compaq nc6400 with ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 and Intel HDA sound

Regards,
    Artūras B.

Re: Intel HDA soundcard and Amarok

I have the Intel HDA sound system and Amarok is working fine in 7.10.

Have you installed the list of ALSA packages?

Also, I put a link to the troubleshooting guide here:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3086812.0

Comment

Hi dibl.

Yes all packages were reinstalled and still no luck. Last year I installed Kubuntu 6.10, then I upgraded to the 7.04. I wanted to improve sound subsystem because I use external USB sound card - Creative's Xmod. So I installed alsa-driver, alsa-lib and alsa-utils from the ALSA project and it worked. Now after upgrading to Gusty I got problems with sound. I was searching internet for solution but non of them really helped. I decided that my installation got "dirty" and yesterday I did the clean install. So far so good, I didn't tested my Xmod yet, but at least the HDA woks with no problem.

Regards,
      artbar

Comment

Originally posted by artbar

I decided that my installation got "dirty" and yesterday I did the clean install. So far so good, I didn't tested my Xmod yet, but at least the HDA woks with no problem.
        Hmmmmmmm -- that's just a little unnerving, although it's good that have restored the sound. Be cautious in making changes that might affect the sound system -- something you did along the way obviously introduced the "dirt", so you need to be very observant in case it happens again -- it would be good to know what shuts it down.

Comment

I have this problem also on a new 7.10 install. Just watched a movie in kaffeine and sound was perfect, can hear sound in youtube videos but I get the error exactly as described in the OP in Amarok now. I had this issue earlier and a reboot solved the problem, I also currently have to manually add a sound module each time I start Kubuntu as my sound card is not auto detected : I found the fix in the last post here - http://www.ubuntux.org/sound-card-no...ed#comment-649

Can anyone tell me how to add the module permanently as described in that post and also any suggestions on why Amarok currently won't play sound, maybe it's "lost" it's link to this module as it's only assigned temporarily I think...

Comment

Add the module to /etc/modules.
            For external use only.

Comment

yes I read that, but how and from where?

Comment

"kdesu kate /etc/modules", add a line to the file and put the module name there.
                For external use only.

Comment

Although my Gutsy installation has not required a sound module to be listed in /etc/modules, in Feisty and Edgy it required this one:

snd-hda-intel

So, you might try pasting that in as the last line in your /etc/modules file, and save it and reboot. I'll cross my fingers....

Comment

Thanks dudes, worked a treat

Comment

Working...
                    X