X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

audio problems -- conexant cx20549 -- no sound

Directly from alsamixer:
    Card: HDA Intel CChip: Conexant CX20549 (Venice)

I am not sure where to go here. I have never had many problems with sound (yet). It is a Toshiba Satellite laptop. I have tried both the headphones jack and without (for the internal speakers), none of which work.

I have tried aplay -D default pop.wav as well as a few others like hw:0 hw:0,0 etc.

How can I further troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks!

Re: audio problems -- conexant cx20549 -- no sound

Hello ,
    for some strange reason I have the same problem ... I also have a laptop, HP dv6361eu, the sound worked just one day ago when I was running Ubuntu 7.10.
    The system seems to think the sound is working correctly as it finds an "nvidia" soundcard ... I'm totally new to linux so I was woundering how to further investigate this.

thx,

// Miir

Info from "lspci -v":

00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Presario V6133CL
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 9
    Memory at c0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>

Other problems I have include:

Webcam not installed properly and crashes kopete everytime it's enabled

USB-Drive (Western-Digital MyBook 320Gb) works once every 5-10 restarts. When I't not found it seems the system does not even notice I plugg in a USB cable, not a single reaction. When it does function it acts like normal and mounts as it should. (I've changed the "open as user" box as a part-solution else I couldn't even use it when the computer found it).

Random crashes every now and then , a few crashes a day so far...

I had trouble with my WiFi for a long time before it worked, now it seems okey for the time being however it has "dissapered" once but was fixed after a reboot.

Graphic bug where the window manager does not seem to update fast enough. For example when I surf the net and scroll down sometimes I have to scroll back up and down slowly to see a specifik objekt.

Comment

Same problem here with a HP dv2404ca. I won't cross link here, but I've posted for help under the MCP51 thread (same chip under it though, the cx20549).

Comment

I've had my sound system completely broken since upgrading to 7.10. KMix now shows a blank window, and just about everything else I try gives errors. I think the source of the problem may be this:

sudo modprobe snd-hda-intel
        FATAL: Module snd_hda_intel not found.

locate snd-hda-intel shows that the module moved from /lib/modules/2.6.20-16-generic/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko to /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/ubuntu/media/snd-hda-intel/snd-hda-intel.ko in the new kernel. Is this a bug that needs to be reported to the Ubuntu devs, or is there some other way I need to load the module?

Edit: This bug may also have something to do with the problem: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...22/+bug/131577

Edit 2: I figured out my problem. Apparently, after my upgrade to 7.10, the default option in grub for the new kernel is the -386 version instead of the -generic version. The snd-hda-intel module for -386 is in the package linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.22-14-386. After installing that package, I was able to modprobe snd-hda-intel and get sound back.

Comment

Working...
        X