This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System setting not work?

Just upgraded from Fiesty and since the upgrade i had display issues. After enabling restricted Drivers i got constant out of range errors on my monitor so had to play with dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg until i got a verry basic workable setting.
    unfortunatly this setting doesnt allow for my widescreen monitor so everything is strechted out of shape. Now when i go to syetem settings to adjust for this it will not give me an option to apply after i make changes to the monitor and graphics card. Any clues why it will let me change these things but not appy them?
    Nvidia GF 8500GT
    Chimei 22in Widescreen LCD
    Edit Just checked and same problenm on my other computer as well.
    Nvidia GF 7100
    Same monitor on a KVM switch

Re: System setting not work?

"sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg", and make sure you select resolutions appropriate to your monitor.
    That monitor would appear to have an aspect ratio of 8:5, so when selecting resolutions, those whose width divided by their height is 1.6 is the proper resolution for your monitor.

EDIT: You may also be interested in this chart.
    For external use only.

Comment

Ok i shall attempt another reconfigure with all the details i can find. Just strange that nothing in my system settings will apply any more. Might be time to file a bug but ill keep an eye out on updates for now too.

Comment

Once you get your system up and running again, try installing the Nvidia driver with Envy. Download the envy_0.9.8-0ubuntu8_all.deb package, and, navigate to Envy's location in Konqueror (if the .deb package of Envy is on your Desktop, you'd type "cd /home/(username)/Desktop", replacing (username) with your username). Then, type "sudo dpkg -i envy_0.9.8-0ubuntu8_all.deb"; you should receive some errors if this is the first time you've run Envy, that's OK and completely normal. Just type the command "sudo apt-get install -f"; this will install Envy's dependencies as well as Envy itself .

Then, if that's successful, still in Konsole, type "envy -t" and your password when prompted. Choose what I believe is option 2 for the installation of the Nvidia driver, and when that finishes, tell it "yes" when asked whether you want it to automatically configure xorg.conf for you, but "no" when asked to reboot; you don't want to reboot just yet.

Give Konsole the command "sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --composite", then, type "kdesu nvidia-settings". Choose the "X Server Display Configuration" tab and set your desired resolution; then choose "Save to X Configuration File" (above the "Quit" button) and tell it to "Merge with existing file.". Then reboot and you should be good to go!!!
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Working...
        X