This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latitude D830 / Intel HDA sound not working - Gutsy

Out of the box the Intel HDA sound card does not work and driver is not installed. I searched around for a way to fix this and found this:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Gutsy_Intel_HD_Audio_Controller

I used method G since it was easiest and also reported to be most compatible. Initially after installing the backports the sound worked. Then something happened and there is no more sound. Uninstalling and reinstalling backports does not fix it. One of these might have caused it.

1. Suspend / Hibernate. Although this isn't reported to be a problem with method G, it might have broken the sound.

2. Updates - I applied some system updates.

3. I tried to play an MP3 in Amarok. It downloaded a bunch of packages to install MP3 support and that is when I first noticed that sound wasn't working anymore.

Anyhow. I'm considering backing up the system and starting with a fresh install. But that might not be worth it if the sound is just going to break again. Any suggestions?
    KeyboardShortcuts.org | CouponCodeSwap.com

Re: Latitude D830 / Intel HDA sound not working - Gutsy

The standard approaches are to verify that Sound is actually turned on: Alt+F2 and select Sound & Multimedia | General and ensure Enable the sound system is checked. Verify that Master channel in Alsamixer is not muted (the speakers have 'waves' coming out of them if un-muted).
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Also, as I understand it, if you are running a program/daemon that throttles your CPU, your audio driver can break. I've found there are two throttling daemons that are installed by default in Kubuntu (there may be more . . .), they are: "laptop-mode" (throttles your HD when the computer's idle to save power) and "powernowd" (throttles your CPU to save power). Unless you're using a laptop, I'd suggest disabling these; just navigate to "System Settings -> Advanced Tab -> System Services -> Administrator Mode... (enter password)", then right-click the daemon you want to disable and tell it to "Stop..." if it is running and also to "Toggle start during boot..." to disable it at boot (you then have to restart X (Ctrl+Alt+Backspace) for the settings to take effect). This may not fix your problem but might bring you one step closer to doing so. (I have an Audigy2 ZS, which is supported by ALSA, so I don't have the problem and can't experiment to help you out :P)
      Asus G1S-X3:
      Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

I assume alt f2 is to run kcontrol. Enable sound system is checked. Mixer is not muted. The thing is, it was working for atleast one session and then it stopped.
        Last edited by undoIT; Jan 25, 2013, 01:19 PM.
        KeyboardShortcuts.org | CouponCodeSwap.com

Comment

I have that exact same problem. It's really irritating, because I want to be able to listen to music. And videos.
          My sound system is enabled, and my master channel is not muted.

Comment

Working...
          X