X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

external USB hard drives

G'day all

I am unable to find my external USB hard drives. In 7.04 they use to appear on the desktop (alla Plug and play) when pluged in. So far I have looked through synaptic for anything that looks like a USB driver, with no luck.

Any help appreciated.

Gavin

Re: external USB hard drives

Make sure HAL is installed.

Comment

No, thats not the problem. Hal is installed

My mouse and keyboard are usb and they are found with no problems. Its just my external hard drives that can't be found or aren't being mounted.

Comment

Two things to try (both in Konsole): "dmesg | tail" immediately after plugging in the device, and "lsusb" with the device plugged in. dmesg will show what happens when it gets plugged in, and its presence in lsusb will indicate its recognition by the system.
        For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
          Two things to try (both in Konsole): "dmesg | tail" immediately after plugging in the device, and "lsusb" with the device plugged in. dmesg will show what happens when it gets plugged in, and its presence in lsusb will indicate its recognition by the system.
          results from dmesg | tail
          [ 1110.242116] sd 10:0:0:0: [sdi] Attached SCSI disk
          [ 1110.242157] sd 10:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg8 type 0
          [ 1224.716236] usb 2-2: USB disconnect, address 11
          [ 1259.347145] usb 2-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 12
          [ 1259.534067] usb 2-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
          [ 1259.545818] scsi11 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
          [ 1259.545862] usb-storage: device found at 12
          [ 1259.545863] usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
          [ 1259.571898] input: Western Digital My Book ES as /class/input/input11
          [ 1259.571918] input: USB HID v1.11 Device [Western Digital My Book ES] on usb-0000:00:0a.1-2

Results from lsusb
          Bus 002 Device 012: ID 1058:0906 Western Digital Technologies, Inc.
          Bus 002 Device 007: ID 1038:0310 Ideazon, Inc.
          Bus 002 Device 009: ID 1532:0002
          Bus 002 Device 006: ID 058f:6362 Alcor Micro Corp.
          Bus 002 Device 008: ID 0556:0001 Asahi Kasei Microsystems Co., Ltd AK5370 I/F A/D Converter
          Bus 002 Device 005: ID 05e3:0606 Genesys Logic, Inc.
          Bus 002 Device 004: ID 0bda:8187 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
          Bus 002 Device 003: ID 05e3:0606 Genesys Logic, Inc.
          Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
          Bus 001 Device 002: ID 06a3:8021 Saitek PLC
          Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

It appears as if the usb is accessing the device (Western Digital My Book), but I can't seem to mount it.

Comment

Try "sudo mount /dev/sdi /media/[mount point]", where [mount point] is the desired mount point. (You may want to try /dev/sdi1 before /dev/sdi, though.)
            For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
              Try "sudo mount /dev/sdi /media/[mount point]", where [mount point] is the desired mount point. (You may want to try /dev/sdi1 before /dev/sdi, though.)
              For each one it comes back mount point does not exist.

Comment

Is it NTFS-formatted? If so, this might help:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3084679.0

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                  Is it NTFS-formatted? If so, this might help:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3084679.0

No. It is Fat 32 formated. It worked in the previous version of Kubuntu. It did work once during on of the installs to get this version working, but I can't get it working now. Mmm, might have to down grade to 7.04 >

Comment

When you click System Menu | Storage Media, what is displayed? Then, in the URL line, replace /media with media:/ and see what is displayed.
                    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                      When you click System Menu | Storage Media, what is displayed? Then, in the URL line, replace /media with media:/ and see what is displayed.
                      System Menu?

I do not have system menu on my K menu.
                      I have system settings but that does not have storage media.

Comment

Open media:/ or system:/media/ in Konqueror, then.

And your problem with my suggestion was because, well, the mount point didn't exist. Try "sudo mkdir [mount point]".
                        For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevyn
                          System Menu?

I do not have system menu on my K menu.
                          I have system settings but that does not have storage media.
                          I'm still on Feisty. But, System Menu is the icon on the task bar that is next to the K Menu icon.
                          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Mmmm, interesting. Problem is solved, but I really don't know what happened to solve it.

My task bar is customised so it doesn't have a systems menu on it. I opened Kong as SheeEttin suggested and opened storage media. In the task bar it was shown as media:/ so no problems there, yet nothing was showing up. Even though I had tried different USB ports on the back of my computer and turned on an off the external hard drive several time, for some reason I thought I would try something else. I grabbed a USB stick and shoved it in the extra USB ports on my computer. Presto, the stick is read and all my mounted storage devices are now shown in media:/. I plugged my external hard drive back into the USB port where it was originally and it works okay.

I really have no idea as to what was wrong. A lazy device driver that just need a kick from another USB port? Doesn't sound likely. As a point, my keyboard and mouse are off the same bank of USB ports at the back of the computer and they work fine

Thanks for your help everyone. It's working at the moment.

Comment

Just an update. When I rebooted I lost connection to my external drives again. Since then I have had trouble with getting the video card to work properly Nvidia 8800GTS. I since down graded to 7.04 and of course my video card doesn't work properly with an old version either. Will have another play around once I come back from holidays in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Working...
                              X