This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After restart or re-login refresh rate goes back to 60 Hz

After I installed Gutsy I set the refresh rate to 75 Hz (1280x1024 resolution). It worked perfectly for a couple of days.

Later after a re-login or a restart or after simply turning on the computer I was surprised to see that the refresh rate is 60 Hz again. And when I tried to change it back to 75 Hz the screen didin't go black for a few seconds as usual and didn't even go to 75 Hz but asked me if I wanted to keep the "new" setting.

I have a Xerox X3A LCD monitor and a Geforce MX-400 graphics card.

Have you got any ideas why this may happen?

Re: After restart or re-login refresh rate goes back to 60 Hz

LCDs refresh rate is not as relevant as CRTs. I agree it's annoying, but you can safely keep it at 60Hz without any stress for your eyes.

Comment

Well, unfortunately I find it quite stressful for my eyes. After about ten minutes on this 60 Hz screen my eyes hurt.

Comment

That's strange.

Comment

Well, I'd back up /etc/X11/xorg.conf and execute "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg", choosing your preferred resolutions. If it prompts you for supported refresh rates, I'd suggest specifying it manually. You can see the spec sheet for your monitor here (which is an XA3, not X3A, which explains why I couldn't find it).
          For external use only.

Comment

Thanks for your replies.

I don't have a problem changing the refresh rate, that's why I didn't even try to reconfigure the xserver.

I can do it graphically and then it will work all right for a couple of days. I can restart my computer many times, I can turn it on and off many times without any problems.

But then all of a sudden after turning on/restarting the computer goes back to 60 Hz...

Comment

Take SheeEttin's word for it. Reconfigure your xserver. It will work.
              I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Working...
              X