X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 7.10 RC, ATI problems

Hello!

Yesterday I've decided to upgrade Kubuntu to 7.10 RC.

1) The installation went ALMOST smooth. At the last stage of the setup, it asked me about removing 160 obsolete packages ... I said Yes but then the installer hanged and crashed a few seconds later ... I had no other choice but to reboot the system (after all, most of the setup was Ok ..)

2) Now I am having trouble with my display driver/settings. I am using a ATI X200M chip on HP Pavilion dv5140eu. 3D acceleration is ok however everything takes several seconds to draw - I see every layer of every dialog gradually appearing. There is no problem dragging windows though. Also the K menu is flickering when its open.

Other thing is that my CPU Load is constantly 60%+ being caused by a process called "Xgl"

It will be great if you could provide me with any insights about how to fix this

Re: Kubuntu 7.10 RC, ATI problems

At the last stage of the setup, it asked me about removing 160 obsolete packages ... I said Yes but then the installer hanged and crashed a few seconds later ... I had no other choice but to reboot the system (after all, most of the setup was Ok ..)
    Did you have nonstandard repositories (automatix et al.) in the sources.list ?

Other thing is that my CPU Load is constantly 60%+ being caused by a process called "Xgl"
    Are you using Compiz Fusion with fglrx (Xgl) ?

Try to kill "Xgl" process.
    If you don't need Xgl. Remove (if installed) xserver-xgl
    - GL-based X server
    Xgl provides a GL-based X server, performing its drawing through a GL stack.
    In combination with a GL-based compositing manager, this allows for high-speed
    transformations of windows.
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Re: Kubuntu 7.10 RC, ATI problems

Originally posted by Rog131
      At the last stage of the setup, it asked me about removing 160 obsolete packages ... I said Yes but then the installer hanged and crashed a few seconds later ... I had no other choice but to reboot the system (after all, most of the setup was Ok ..)
      Did you have nonstandard repositories (automatix et al.) in the sources.list ?
      Yes I had several 3rd party repositories, however during the fisrt step of the upgrade process, update manager told me that all 3rd party repositories will be disabled for the installation to take place.

Try to kill "Xgl" process.
      Killing Xgl left me with my KDM wallpaper ... all desktop items/widgets/windows/dialogs have disappeared .

If you don't need Xgl. Remove (if installed) xserver-xgl
      That did it, thank You. everything looks normal now

Comment

Working...
      X