X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hal-storage-fixed-mount-all-options refused uid 1000

hal-storage-fixed-mount-all-options refused uid 1000

?

How do I "mount" my slave hard drive? I went into properties and selected "mount" but I get the error message

Re: hal-storage-fixed-mount-all-options refused uid 1000

Mmmmmmmmm -- something wrong with the mount line in /etc/fstab, most likely. Can you open a Konsole window, do
    Code:
    kate /etc/fstab
    copy the file and post it in a reply here, please?

Also, is that a NTFS formatted drive? If so, please open Adept Manager and mark the package "ntfs-3g" for installation, then "Apply" to install it.

Comment

I am having the same problem. I just upgraded to Kubuntu 7.10--fresh install. My second hard drive (sdb1) is giving me a "hal-storage-fixed-mount refused uid 1000" whenever I try to look at it in Dolphin.

I'm almost certain it's an ext3 with journalling. It worked fine this morning in Ubuntu 7.04.

From http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-473511.html I tried to do some of that, but hit a wall with the cfdisk command.

Code:
      # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
      #
      # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options>   <dump> <pass>
      proc      /proc     proc  defaults    0   0
      # /dev/sda1
      UUID=a75461a1-bb53-480e-a3dc-c81fbc9994bc /       ext3  defaults,errors=remount-ro 0   1
      # /dev/sda5
      UUID=fc5f8662-d586-4e82-b18e-ff3461673ca5 none      swap  sw       0   0
      /dev/scd1   /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0   0
      /dev/scd0   /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0   0
      /dev/fd0    /media/floppy0 auto  rw,user,noauto,exec 0   0
      And doing a cfdisk gives me "FATAL ERROR: Cannot open disk drive" when I type "cfdisk /dev/sda" (despite the fact that I'm using it!) or "cfdisk /dev/sdb" or if I add any partition numbers to it.

So, it's not trying to automount sdb1, but I can't get any information on sdb at all using cfdisk or Dolphin. So is something massively wrong? Any ideas on what else I should google, or what I should do to solve this issue? Everyone else with this error seems to be using NTFS files systems.

UPDATE
      I just booted off of Ubuntu 7.04, and it can see the files just fine. I then booted off of Kubuntu 7.04 and it gives the same error. Both Live CDs. Also, the Kubuntu 7.10 Live CD couldn't see it before I installed. I hoped this problem would clear itself up.

So all versions of Kubuntu have trouble, but the version of Ubuntu seems to see and mount it just fine.
      Jester&#39;s Ring

Comment

I'm having that same issue myself, its kinda not good since my music collection is on my ntfs partition
        here is what my fstab info is
        # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
        #
        # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
        proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
        # /dev/hdb2
        UUID=cfd76f49-40e0-42d2-86c7-86f30b53e55c / ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
        # /dev/hdb5
        UUID=b4147486-75c3-4f92-8c75-529aa074a562 none swap sw 0 0
        /dev/hdd /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
        /dev/hdc /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
        /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
        /dev/hda1 <mount\040point> nfs nouser,atime,auto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
        /dev/hdb1 / nfs nouser,atime,auto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
        <device> <mount\040point> auto nouser,atime,noauto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
        <device> <mount\040point> auto nouser,atime,noauto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
        <device> <mount\040point> auto nouser,noauto,atime,auto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
        <device> <mount\040point> auto nouser,noauto,atime,auto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0

Comment

If you follow the advise dibl poste below, you should be fine. NTFS formated drives can't be accessed (normally) without the ntfs-3g package installed. Once installed, and you change the entry in fstab as dibl says, will give you read/write access to your NTFS formatted drives.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I installed ntfs-config and configured it by running it with sudo from terminal.

Code:
            sudo ntfs-config
            then i was able to mount my internal ntfs partition after giving it a mount point. however, i couldn't get my external usb ntfs backup driver mounted using this method. ntfs read write works out of the box on the Ubuntu version for both internal and external ntfs drives.
            KeyboardShortcuts.org | CouponCodeSwap.com

Comment

Originally posted by undoIT

however, i couldn't get my external usb ntfs backup driver mounted using this method.
              For EXTERNAL USB drives, it is necessary to add the user to the "fuse" group. Right, Snowhog?

KMenu>System Settings>User Management>Administrator Mode, then highlight the user's name, and click "Modify", and add the "fuse" group to the user.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                For EXTERNAL USB drives, it is necessary to add the user to the "fuse" group. Right, Snowhog?

Can't actually say 'yes' to that, as "fuse" isn't one of the secondary groups for my user. But, then, I don't have any external USB drives formatted as ntfs, so I can't say it isn't necessary. :P You have nothing to loose by trying it.

Comment

undoIT's method did the trick (and i got it running on the GUI side of ntfs-config) all i had to remember to do was name the stupid partitions and boom.. done.. thanks for the replies also ^_^

now if only my stupid printer would talk to Kubuntu my life would be bliss =O
                  Brother MFC-210c (they have every other one but that listed :P

Comment

Generally, you can try another model of the same family - Brother MFC-2xxx or MFC-1xxx when your exact model isn't listed.

Comment

I've got two partitions...

The first one is NTFS with Vista on it. Wow, don't get mad please, I mostly use Kubuntu anyway.
                      The second one is FAT32 where my music-collection, pictures, video's etc is located.

Both of them I can't open. Dolphin nor Konqueror can read/write to these partitions. I don't really care about the NTFS-partition, but I do want to be able to read/write to a FAT32-partition. This is a very new problem to me, because Dapper Drake and Feisty Fawn didn't had this problem at all.

The error is the same as the topic-title, even when "opening" the FAT32-partition.

Before I forget, my USB-stick (2 Gb) formatted as FAT32; I can't read/write to it either. Hope you can help.
                      I use Firefox because it&#39;s better and safer, I use Linux because it&#39;s the best of the best. Together they are like magic. USE THE FORCE, CHOOSE FREE AS IN FREEDOM!

Comment

There should be no problems with reading from or writing to an FAT32 partition.
                        What happens if you try to mount it from a console.
                        For external use only.

Comment

I'm sorry, I completly forgot this thread, so I didn't updated my post. (blush)

Well, after searching on Google (which was a true nightmare considering I mostly don't know good searchkeys) I finally found this command:

Code:
                          mount -t vfat /dev/SDA-HDA-... /media/NAME-OF-HARDDRIVE
                          My code to mount the harddisk is:
                          Code:
                          mount -t vfat /dev/sda5 /media/BACKUP
                          It works, but I need to insert the code into a terminal every time after a reboot, or I'm not able to open the harddisk.
                          The strange thing is that I'm able to open my external USB-stick (also FAT32) without having to mount it via a console (it just opens after inserting it into an usb-port).
                          I use Firefox because it&#39;s better and safer, I use Linux because it&#39;s the best of the best. Together they are like magic. USE THE FORCE, CHOOSE FREE AS IN FREEDOM!

Comment

Just put like this in your /etc/fstab, to mount it at boot:

Code:
                            dev/sda5 /media/BACKUP vfat defaults 0 2

Comment

Except with a slash at the beginning.
                              For external use only.

Comment

Working...
                              X