This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

simply ATI question

I am getting my new ATI x1650 card (to replace OB 6100) and was wondering if on first boot will kubuntu Recognise it and install generic drivers or do i have to pre install them? if so coulD some one post a link on howto install them...thnx

S!

Re: simply ATI question

First, consider an Nvidia instead. Second, yes it should be recognized, but without hardware accelleration/direct rendering. You will want to install the ati drivers or at least fglrx out of the repositories. There is plenty of information available on both. Try searching.

Comment

Originally posted by lingenfr
      First, consider an Nvidia instead.
      I second the motion!

Save yourself 3 headaches -- just get an Nvidia card and skip the fglrx nonsense. (No offense to my long-suffering ATI-user buds!) 8)

Comment

Long-suffering indeed... Hopefully ATI/AMD comes through with those "holy crap" drivers later this month.
        For external use only.

Comment

if on first boot will kubuntu Recognise it and install generic drivers or do i have to pre install them? if so coulD some one post a link on howto install them...thnx
          Here Gutsy told that there are restricted/proprietary drivers for my AMD/Ati card:

Installing AMD Proprietary Linux Display Driver (fglrx) in the Gutsy.
          http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3086973.0

More ways to install fglrx:
          FAQ: Links - How to Install AMD(Ati) Proprietary Linux Display Driver (fglrx)
          http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085652.0
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

A simple question:

Why cant ubuntu use video cards on first boot ?

Mandrake and windows just boot up with these cards and then you can choose to stuff around with acceleration and install proper drivers.

Ubuntu should at least be able to use the vesa or vga drivers for a video card.

Comment

Why cant ubuntu use video cards on first boot ?
              ?

Here Kubuntu is using open source Ati driver as default. If you have detection problem or non supported card -> Kubuntu will fall to the vesa driver.

Drivers for AMD/Ati cards:

xserver-xorg-video-ati X.Org X server -- ATI display driver
              This driver for the X.Org X server (see xserver-xorg for a further description)
              provides support for the ATI Mach, Rage, Radeon, and FireGL series. It
              provides the 'atimisc', 'r128' and 'radeon' sub-drivers.

Note that this is not the same as the ATI-provided, binary-only, 'fglrx'
              driver, which provides additional 3D functionality for some newer Radeon
              cards, but is not supported.

This driver provides support for Mach, Rage, Rage128, Radeon, and most
              FireGL series ATI cards.

xorg-driver-fglrx Video driver for the ATI graphics accelerators
              Video driver for the ATI graphics accelerators
              Video driver for the ATI Radeon and FireGL graphics accelerators.

This version of the ATI driver officially supports:
              * RADEON X1300, X1600, X1800, X1900
              * RADEON 8500, 9000, 9100, 9200, 9500, 9550, 9600, 9700, 9800
              * RADEON X800, X700, X600, X550, X300 series (AGP and PCI Express)
              * MOBILITY RADEON 9000, 9200, 9600, 9800, X700
              * MOBILITY RADEON 9000/9100 IGP Series
              * FireGL 8700, 8800, E1, E2, X1, X2, X3, Z1, T2
              * MOBILITY FireGL 9100, T2
              * RADEON XPRESS 200

This package provides 2D display drivers
              and hardware accelerated OpenGL for X.Org 1.3.0.

X.Org X server -- VESA display driver
              uses the standard VESA interface provided on all video cards, but runs
              unaccelerated. This driver is not recommended for use unless you have a
              problem with the normal driver for your card, because it will peform very
              badly.

X.Org X server -- VGA display driver
              uses the standard VGA interface provided on all video cards, but runs
              unaccelerated. This driver is not recommended for use, because it will run
              very slowly, and at a substandard resolution and colour depth. If you have
              substantial problems with the normal driver for your card, please consider
              using the VESA driver (xserver-xorg-video-vesa), as that will allow you to run
              at a better resolution and colour depth.
              Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
              1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
              2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Newer radeon's -- meaning manufactured after the Carter presidency.

Comment

very strange thing happend, the first boot i got a error and droped to run levle 3 (same thing happend after i tried to install NVIDIA drivers) this time it justy booted into kubuntu normaly with no problems, a message did pop up about useing propriorty drivers...but I am a bit leary about doing that...last time it crashed the whole XSERVER,

S!

Comment

I used the restricted driver instalation and it it went just fine, but i cant get my resolution above 768x1024 is this normal?

Comment

No.
                      You should probably regenerate your xorg.conf now. Back up /etc/X11/xorg.conf and execute "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg", making sure you choose the fglrx driver and the resolutions you want.
                      For external use only.

Comment

Working...
                      X