This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB WiFi adapter worked once then fail

I used an USB WiFi adapter and the network manager recognized it, I can see a list of nearby networks and connected to one successfully, but after a short while the connection lost, I no longer see the networks. I rebooted and try again, but I no longer see the network only 'no active device'. Since the adapter getting quite hot I thought is has burn out for some reason, so I get a 'better' Linksys one to try again and it worked, but the PC hanged when trying to get an IP address, reboot and retry few times the same result. I then go to system setting to see what's wrong, I see the wireless adapter is not set to DHCP so I changed it to try, but then I can no longer see any networks only 'no active device', reboot and retry but still the same, what is up with this !?
    Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :P

Re: USB WiFi adapter worked once then fail

I assume that at this point you want to get the linksys adapter working. Which model/version is it?

Comment

It's a Wireless-G tiny box with antenna, it did work for a while but then fail, I think this is not simply the driver problem as the other one failed as well, but I welcome your advise thanks.

Comment

Just to make sure I give you the right advice, look at the bottom of the adapter and provide the model and version number. Thanks.

Comment

It reads 'WUSB540G Ver. 4' if I am right, the letters are just too small for my eyes.

Comment

Next time it "disappears", execute "lsusb" and see if it appears in the list. If not, then it's not being recognized by the system at all.

I don't think a wireless USB adapter would be particularly reliable in any case. I would highly recommend a PCI card.
            For external use only.

Comment

I can see it with the command, as well as on the Kinfo Center, so the system recognized it. The reason I use it is simple, convenient, and this is a temporary setup that's why.

Comment

I have two of them and they work like a champ. Check this out:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...hlight=wusb54g

You might also read these users experience. Pay no attention to versions. Install the latest that is in the repository using Adept (i.e. ndiswrapper). Don't pay much attention to people who don't own one.

Comment

Thanks lingenfr, but I couldn't write the blacklist as permission denied, sorry for the stupid question And as I said the adapter once worked, I actually see the nearby network and the signal strength, but it hangs when I connecting to one trying to get an IP address, which is at the 57% stage, but after I changed to DHCP with the network manager the device disappeared. The info you provided is for old version not Gutsy, would the current beta already provide the correct driver, or why it once worked before ??

Comment

That is what happens with all those adapters when you don't follow the instructions. Follow the instructions and use sudo. It will not work until you do.

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

Follow the other instructions and save it. Complete the instructions.

Comment

It won't allow me to save the change I already sudo.

Comment

Then something else is wrong that I can't help you with. Hopefully someone smarter will jump in.

Comment

If you execute "sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist", add the line "blacklist rt2570", and hit Ctrl+O and enter, what happens?
                          For external use only.

Comment

It was permission deny first but ok after reboot, but now I stuck at 'sudo ndiswrapper -l' it said command not found, it seems the installation of ndiswrapper has problem....

Comment

Working...
                            X