X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help requested: WiFi, sound, HD issues

Hi, everyone!

I am rather new to Kubuntu, having just installed it Friday on my new laptop, a Dell Inspiron 1520 (Intel). Thanks to many tips mentioned in a thread on the Ubuntu forum, and the fact that I grabbed the alternate Gutsy CD instead of Feisty, many problems people have had with this laptop were not problems for me. Wired networking, CD burning, even compiz (heh) are working. USB sticks and SD cards, no problem.

For the last few years I've been running Gentoo on other machines, so this is a bit different from what I'm used to. The last distro I used with pre-packaged stuff was Mandrake, back when it was still called that. I'm hoping not to do much compiling on this thing, though it doesn't scare me.

Anyway, like I said this thing is "mostly" working. By that I mean the essential stuff I mentioned above, enough that I can sit here and type this on it. However, there are a few things that are still bugging me:
    • First, every few seconds while on AC power (but not while on battery), I hear clicks from the hard drive. This is the sort of sound that, if you've spent much time listening to hard drives, you may recognize as head parking. It sounds like the system (or maybe the drive itself, quite likely since it's a laptop) is trying to keep the drive stopped and parked, but something accesses it every few seconds and causes it to wake up. Does anyone know what's going on here? While on AC, I wouldn't mind if the drive stayed in an active state, and its behavior while on battery seems fine to me, so it's probably an easy tweak. I've looked at the various services, though, and runlevels, but nothing jumped out at me.

Edit: I was reading my kernel logs (looking for something else, of course) and something finally jumped out at me: "kjournald ... commit interval 5 seconds." That's about how often I hear, if I listen carefully, hard drive sounds. The "parking" noise isn't quite as frequent or regular, but it seems that what I'm hearing is a fight between the ext3 journaling (delayed writes, about every 5 seconds) and the drive parking its head because it thinks it is idle. Pretty much immediately after it parks, along comes another write and I get to hear another loud noise. Well, "loud" in the context of laptop hard drives, anyway!

This also explains why I never notice such a thing in Vista: When I'm booted into Vista, the hard drive is constantly grinding away! It's either searching, or de-fragging, or super-fetching, but whatever it is, it sure keeps my drive busy.

• Now for everyone's favorite, WiFi! This machine uses a wireless card from Intel, the "4965 AGN," which works quite nicely in W****ws V**ta. Here, it is recognized as "wlan0" and shows an IP address, although not the one I've configured my router to assign it. I also cannot get it to connect to anything. (The blue light stays off all the time, even when kwifimanager shows a signal from my WLAN.) Besides kwifimanager, I've also tried kwavecontrol and one panel applet.
      Code:
      rassilon@hazuki:~$ lsmod | grep iw
      iwl4965       101860 0
      mac80211       171016 1 iwl4965
      Even if I had to configure them manually, I'd settle for that as long as I could connect, but (though I hate to ask) is there any way to approximate the wireless functionality I have in Windows? That is, (1) if a wire is connected, use that; (2) if not, use my home WLAN if present; (3) otherwise, let me pick a public WLAN if I'm roaming. There are at least eight other WLANs reachable from where I sit, yet the various wireless monitors claim they find none.
    • Last but not least, I would like to have sound. Right now I have none; not a beep, squeal, or even badly-distorted noise as I've seen in other threads. lspci shows "00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)". The entire module list is very long, so here is a short one:
      Code:
      rassilon@hazuki:~$ lsmod | grep snd
      snd_hda_intel    263712 0
      snd_pcm_oss      44672 0
      snd_mixer_oss     17664 1 snd_pcm_oss
      snd_pcm        80388 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
      snd_seq_dummy     4740 0
      snd_seq_oss      33152 0
      snd_seq_midi      9600 0
      snd_rawmidi      25728 1 snd_seq_midi
      snd_seq_midi_event   8448 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
      snd_seq        53232 6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
      snd_timer       24324 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
      snd_seq_device     9228 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
      snd          54660 9 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
      soundcore       8800 1 snd
      snd_page_alloc    10888 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

I'm certainly going to keep poking around and searching, but I thought I should post here in case somebody has solved one of these problems recently and can point me to a quick solution. I'll post back if I find the answer before you do!

Thanks for taking the time to read all the way down to here, and even more if you've got some clues for me!

Edited to change subject; maybe people are skipping it because of the "Dell" or something. I dunno.
    "Turn up the signal / Wipe out the noise!" —Peter Gabriel

Re: Inspiron 1520 (Intel): WiFi, sound, HD issues

Well, as promised, here is a little more info that I have gathered.

Looking around for other wireless utilities, I decided to try wlassistant, even though Adept claimed there was a problem and wouldn't let me install it. Using apt-get worked just fine, without forcing anything.

Surprise! This tool actually detects the various WLANs in my area, and will allow me to try connecting to mine. However...
    • I cannot actually connect. (Verified password and key method.)
    • Blue light stays off, even though it's now quite obvious the light is just fluff and has no relation to the card's actual operation. :P
    • I can connect to an unsecured WLAN.

Well, that's all the time I have for now. In case anyone decides to actually read this, I'll continue to update as the story develops.

Comment

Re: Inspiron 1520 (Intel): WiFi, sound, HD issues

Continuing to poke at the wireless problem, here are some other things I have tried:
      • Changing the password to a very short one without special characters
      • Changing the identifier to one without spaces or special characters
      • Changing the mode from mixed A/B/G/N to only N, and only G
      • Toggling the PSK from ASCII (in wlassistant) and back
      • Changing the security from WPA2 to WPA (didn't leave it there)
      • Manually entering my IP and other configuration instead of using DHCP
      • Deliberately putting a wrong password into wlassistant, to see if it would fail in some different manner. It does not; it simply says "Connection failed" without saying why.

I shall now edit this post so I can switch to that machine and paste stuff in. [plugs in a wire]

OK, now that I'm actually on the machine in question, here's some copy-n-paste fun. I ran wlassistant in a command window, and here's what I get when trying to connect to my own WLAN.

Code:
      ACTION: CONNECT.
      No DHCP client running.
      No pre-connection command specified.
      iwconfig_set: /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 mode managed channel 5 key off essid TheWorld
      iwconfig_ap: /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 ap 00:13:F7:61:0A:EC
      ==>stderr: Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant - wpa_ctrl_open: No such file or directory
      Using wpa_supplicant driver: wext
      WPA client started. Waiting for status...
      CONNECTION FAILED.
      disconnect: /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 mode managed key off ap off essid off
      For comparison, here's me connecting to somebody else unsecured WLAN:
      Code:
      No DHCP client running.
      No pre-connection command specified.
      iwconfig_set: /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 mode managed channel 6 key off essid [lalala]
      iwconfig_ap: /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 ap 00:18:F8:E6:BF:35
      ifconfig_dhcp: /sbin/dhclient wlan0
      ==>stderr: Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.5
      Copyright 2004-2006 Internet Systems Consortium.
      All rights reserved.
      For info, please visit [url]http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/[/url]

wmaster0: unknown hardware address type 801
      Listening on LPF/wlan0/00:13:e8:57:7d:11
      Sending on LPF/wlan0/00:13:e8:57:7d:11
      Sending on Socket/fallback
      DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
      DHCPOFFER from 192.168.1.1
      DHCPREQUEST on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
      DHCPACK from 192.168.1.1
      bound to 192.168.1.103 -- renewal in 42745 seconds.
      No post-connection command specified.
      No pre-disconnection command specified.
      Running DHCP client found.
      kill_dhcp: /sbin/dhclient -r wlan0
      ==>stderr: There is already a pid file /var/run/dhclient.pid with pid 6128
      killed old client process, removed PID file
      Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.5
      Copyright 2004-2006 Internet Systems Consortium.
      All rights reserved.
      For info, please visit [url]http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/[/url]

Listening on LPF/wlan0/00:13:e8:57:7d:11
      Sending on LPF/wlan0/00:13:e8:57:7d:11
      Sending on Socket/fallback
      DHCPRELEASE on wlan0 to 192.168.1.1 port 67
      disconnect: /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 mode managed key off ap off essid off
      DISCONNECTED.
      I shall now try a wpa_supplicant front-end and see what happens.

[much fun ensues as Adept removes some packages that cause eth0 and sudo to stop working]

One unplanned reboot per night is enough for me. Catch ya tomorrow!

Comment

Working...
      X