This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

audio lost ...

I have a gateway mx laptop ... kubuntu 7.04 running fine ... even got the intel 915 resolution solved.
    Tried 7.10 T5 and found that the audio was turned off ... any ideas
    I have sigmaTel ... hmmm
    Everything else looks great ... even the intel 945GM works fine.

georg
    georghess<br />------------------------<br />Beautiful Oregon Coast

Re: audio lost ...

I had the same problem. I finally figured out that the PSM audio (in KMix) was turned down. Maybe, it's not the same problem on yours, but I felt stupid when it was so easy. That's all I got.

Comment

I get no sound at all. I have a red cross over the speak symbol in the system tray. When I hover over it, it says "mixer cannot be found". Clicking on it brings up KMIx but there are no current mixers to select. Everything was working fine in 7.04.

I have a MSI motherboard with integral sound. Anyone any ideas?

Chris<br />;-)

Comment

Lotta folks having lotta trouble with sound, lately. Not sure what 's it all about. Here's what I've got to offer:

1. Good troubleshooting link: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

2. My notes from setting up Gutsy Beta on my Intel HDA sound system ( 2 days ago):

ALSA packages:

alsa-base
        alsa-oss
        alsa-tools-gui
        alsamixergui
        alsaplayer-alsa
        alsaplayer-common

Players:

Kaffeine
        vlc
        vlc-plugins*

Codec packages:

kubuntu-restricted-extras
        w64codecs {for 64-bit, or else w32codecs for 32-bit}
        libxine-extracodecs gstreamer0.10-plugins-base gstreamer0.10-plugins-good gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad

Firefox packages:

kaffeine-mozilla
        mozilla-mplayer
        mozilla-plugin-vlc

Hope there's some help in here somewhere ...

Comment

I've got mine sorted out again now. A complete reinstall was what it took to regain detection of my soundcard. It solved a small number of other minor niggles like old artwork on login.

One of the lessons I have learned is not to install Linux on a machine with motherboard and graphics board less than 6 months out, or at least expect problems until the next release.

Everything going remarkably well now.

Chris<br />;-)

Comment

Originally posted by CJCJ

One of the lessons I have learned is not to install Linux on a machine with motherboard and graphics board less than 6 months out, or at least expect problems until the next release.
            That is a very reasonable general "rule of thumb". I would extend it to "connectible stuff" as well, like printers, scanners, memory card readers, etc.

Another aspect of the hardware domain, particularly for the motherboard, is "standard vs. tweaked-for-Windows". On that principle, I bought an Intel motherboard, assuming (correctly, as it turns out) that it would be least likely to have chipset and BIOS compatibility issues with whatever Linux distro I chose.

Glad to "hear" your sound is back!

Comment

Working...
            X